Board limit of 10, what happens after.. AND quick advice on how to use teams

Paul Fitzgerald January 30, 2021

I'm totally new to the idea of teams.     And I know the limit is 10 boards..

1) What happens if I reach 10 and accidentally click a new one..  I'm only on 4 boards now for personal notes etc. 

A) does it just warn me when I try "you'll have to pay."  or "delete this to go back to free"
B) does it say "You've reached 11, you now have to pay, there's no more free for you" 

2) AND if there's a team, does the team member on a free account lose their boards if they're a member of someone hitting 11.   i.e. if I go paid to team members need paid also?

3) Do team members need a paid account or just any?   I tried making someone a team member but they had no luck.   It could have been that person. 

sorry I know everyone wants a specific question. I seek data regarding overall hurdles and roadblocks so I can better navigate how any system is designed. 

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

4 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Paul Fitzgerald ,

Welcome to the community!

"1) What happens if I reach 10 and accidentally click a new one..  I'm only on 4 boards now for personal notes etc. "

• When you reach 10 boards you will not able to create new boards. The create new board button will be greyed out.

You can Create Multiple Teams in the Free plan.

A) does it just warn me when I try "you'll have to pay."  or "delete this to go back to free"

• It won't warn you or delete any of your boards. It will remain the same. As I have told you can create multiple teams because Trello is still supported unlimited boards you can check the features & plans HERE

B) does it say "You've reached 11, you now have to pay, there's no more free for you" 

• Nope, It won't say anything like that.

2) AND if there's a team, does the team member on a free account lose their boards if they're a member of someone hitting 11.   i.e. if I go paid to team members need paid also?

• No! No one losses any boards if they reach 10 boards limit in a team on the free plan.

3) Do team members need a paid account or just any?   I tried making someone a team member but they had no luck.   It could have been that person. 

• If you are subscribing to a business class plan then the admin of the team has to pay for all accounts present in a team. A business Class plan doesn't apply to an account it applies to teams, so the team admin has to pay for all members in a team.

I have 4 boards now.   Am I allowed to add team members (less than the max, really just one or two) without us or them having a pro account? 

You are allowed to add as many team members as you want in a free plan.

when I add someone what happens then?  I'm guessing they need both an Atlassian account AND Trello? 

The invited members need an Atlassian account. If you are inviting some who don't have a Trello account then when they will create an account it will create a single account of Atlassian that can be used in any Atlassian products or community.

If you have any further queries regarding this issue comment below, I will love to answer them.

Regards,

Soumyadeep

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2021

Hi @Paul Fitzgerald 

Some information to help with your queries:

1) 10 Board Limit:

• You're restricted to 10 open boards; it won't be possible to create another without an upgraded account
  • If a board is closed it does not count towards the 10 board limit - but if you want to reopen a board, there needs to be a slot available
  • See more on Why can't I create a board?

2) Team Members:

• Each Team has a maximum of 10 boards - boards should be associated with a team, so it depends on what location the Team Member's board is created in
  • Paid options (like Business Class) are per Team, so all members would be billable if a Team is upgraded. There are some exceptions however for single board guests, deactivated team members, etc.
  • See How Billing Works with Trello Business Class to see what constitutes a billable team member

3) Adding a Team Member:

• As above, a paid account is per Team - if a user is added to a upgraded team, they'd become a billable team member
  • Instructions to add a user can be found on Inviting people to a team
  • Let us know if these instructions aren't working for you, and what issue you see!

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Ste

Paul Fitzgerald January 31, 2021

Thank you.  

I have 4 boards now.   Am I allowed to add team members (less than the max, really just one or two) without us or them having a pro account? 

when I add someone what happens then?  I'm guessing they need both an Atlassian account AND Trello? 

I don't know anyone personally that uses Trello or I'd have tested this.   Thanks for the reply above. 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2021

Hi @Paul Fitzgerald 

Adding Team Members:

There are no limits to the number of members a Team can have - see What are teams?

There are no limits to the number of members you can have in a team or the number of teams you can belong to in a single account.

Atlassian Accounts:

You need an Atlassian Account to use Trello, the accounts are one the same these days. See more on Using Trello with an Atlassian Account

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events