• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Board Button that Creates a New List and adds a Card from a "Template"

Hello,

Is there a way to create Board Button that Creates a New List and adds a Card to that list from a "Template". Keyword is "Template" - I already have a Card Template. I can't find the Butler function that will allow me to create a Card from a Template.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
Bryan D.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

When you create the Board Button in Butler, under actions choose "Move".  Then the first action will let you change the "move" dropdown to "copy" and you can pick the card and the list you want to copy it to.

Thank you for responding and your suggestion - I understand these set of commands when the Card exists in a List.

I'm referring to this "Template" encircled in BLUE.

Apologies if my inquiry is unclear.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Iain Dooley Community Leader Apr 22, 2020

@Bryan Dumaguina In a sense you don't really need the cards to be templates in order to copy them automatically. The advantage of using Templates is that, when you are manually creating a new card, you have an interface shortcut to finding a template card and copying it, and also that you can have templates archived on the board so they don't take up space.

If you're content to have a "Templates" list visible over on the right you can simply copy your template card from that list when you click your board button.

If you really really don't want to do that, you can get freaky deaky with Butler and do the following:

Create a Board button that will create a card titled with a link to a template card, for example if your template card called "My Card Template" had link "https://trello.com/c/M56zoHE4" (click the "Share" button on the card to get this link) then your Board button command would look like this:

2020-04-23 at 10.51 am.pngThen you can have a *SECOND* rule that triggers when a card named with a Trello link is created in the Inbox list, find the card with that link, then copy it to the top of the list and archive the trigger card, which looks like this:

2020-04-23 at 10.53 am.png

@Iain Dooley I always wondered what that {wildcard} variable did. And how to use it. This work around works good for me. Thank you very much.

Like Iain Dooley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 What is Trello?

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. I'll be sharing with you a series of videos with my top tips on how to best use Trello...

780 views 13 30
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you