Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending the rules

Samuraiwil December 1, 2022

Just wondering ...

Let's say I'm a cheapskate. I have 30 people that I want to work with on three boards, and be able to use premium workspace features on those boards.

Option 1: Set up a premium workspace, create the three boards, add those 30 people as workspace members and give them access to the boards -- and have to pay for 31 workspace users.

Option 2: Set up a premium workspace, create just one board, and invite those 30 people as single-board guests. Set up a second premium workspace, create one board, invite the same 30 people as single-board guests. Set up a third premium workspace, create a board, again invite them as single-board guests. Since each workspace has just 1 member (plus 30 single-board guests), I would have to pay for just 3 premium workspace users in total.

So, option 2 would be 10% of the cost of option 1. Aside from users having to move between workspaces instead of just between boards (and me having to juggle three separate accounts), what's the downside? (Other than screwing Atlassian out of a good chunk of cash, of course.)

Any thoughts or admonitions? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2022

Hi @Samuraiwil - welcome to the Community!

If you're bothered to administrate Option 2, it could totally work in theory and make you only have to pay for three workspace members - yourself on each of the three workspaces! 

Downsides I can think of would be:

• You can't create Workspace Views using those three boards as each board would have to sit in the same workspace, and if they don't sit in the same workspace, you can't create a Workspace View with them
  • Your single-board guests couldn't create boards in the Premium workspace (might not be a downside for you) 
  • You'd have to administrate the billing and membership of three different subscriptions as opposed to one

I think the Workspace Views is definitely the biggest downside here, as Option 2 would eradicate the use of the Workspace Calendar and Table Views. 

Samuraiwil December 4, 2022

Thanks. That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I hadn't thought about the workspace view aspects (since, with my current free account, it's something that we can't use anyway),

Like Alex Waite likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events