Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back of Cards to Unclutter OR PowerUp on Front of Card

lovie g September 2, 2020

Hello, I am also using trello for different reasons than most so my way of doing things might sound very silly to you all.  After trying so many productivity tools, trello is the only one that works visually for us.  I am using trello as a very simple way to organize my teens daily repeating to do's and her school work.   She has dyslexia, ADHD and has a VERY hard time with executive functioning / organization.   She is a very visual learner and by using the cards as individual tasks to be completed, and having a list for each of her school subjects, as well as one list for her daily chores, she can easily scroll across the multiple lists and see what items are at the top of each list to be completed.  One thing that makes this hard for her visually and can get her off track, is having to click each card, turn it over and find the right power-up button that she needs to click when she completes the item. For example, in her daily chores list, I have the items listed with the last item being "***********".   I added a butler button (if thats what you call it) where when she clicks on it, it takes that item and moves it to the bottom of the list.   Eventually, as the "*************" card moves up and when it is at the top she knows she is finished.  Ideally the items would just delete each day and have the whole list reappear fresh the next day, but I don't want to push my luck.  This method of moving the item to the bottom of the list works just fine.  Other lists are named after her school classes, where she will have work she needs to complete, and I want her to be able to click the button to 'archive' or 'delete' the taks(card) when she is finished. Here is where I am REALLY needing some help.....

(#1)  The BEST option would be if I could put a certain power-up button (that I create) on the front of every card on a given list.   On lists that repeat, the power-up button would put the item at the bottom of the list.  On lists that have items to be completed one time, the power-up button would be either to archive the item - or deleting the item all together would be fine.  Is there any possible way to do this?  Her not having to take the multiple steps to turn each card over and make a decision of which power-up to chose for that card would make a world of difference.   It may seems so easy to most, but to certain kids these extra steps can really prevent them from staying focused on the tasks.

(#2) If the first option cannot be done, I realize she will have to click on the card to 'turn it over'.   The back of the cards are filled with so much information that we will never use or need, and as I said the key here is simplicity.   Is there anyway to remove all of the fields from the back of the card?  I would love to only have one option for her which would be the power-up button that I would chose that would be appropriate for that specific item(card).  Any thoughts on making this possible?

Any help from you all would be very much appreciated.   I feel like I have finally found the productivity app that is visually what we need to help my daughter. These things might be deal-breakers for us, but before I give up I wanted to ask if there is a way to make this happen.  Thank you all in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2020

@lovie g instead of using card buttons, you can trigger when a label is added. You can add labels without "flipping over" the card using the "l" (lower case L) keyboard shortcut to apply a label to the card without opening it:

https://trello.com/shortcuts

You could also just trigger when she archives the cards. When a card is archived in list X, unarchive the card and move it to the bottom of the list. When a card is archived in list Y, do nothing, it only had to be done once, and so on.

You can archive a card without opening it by hitting the "c" key (another keyboard shortcut).

In this way, you can basically use Trello cards purely from the front without ever opening them.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events