Automation to move cards between boards

Cheri Balding March 7, 2022

Use Case: I run a sheet metal manufacturing shop. I have a Masterboard set up along with boards for each area of my shop. Each job we run has a different order of operations needed to complete the job. I have set up each area's board with "to do" "in process" and "done" lists. When a team member finishes a process, I want them to be able to move the card into their done folder and have the automation tell it where to go next. I have figured out how to create a rule to make all of the cards proceed to the same board/list, but I need to be able to customize it based on the specific job. Is there a way to define the rules for each card individually?

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

Hi @Cheri Balding ! Welcome to the community. You can create conditional triggers in Butler so that only certain cards follow a rule. Do you have a set logic that determines where cards should go based on the job type? For example, the card gets a specific label to indicate the job type - when a card has a certain job type label, it should go to a specific board/list.

Cheri Balding March 7, 2022

My shop has as many as 40+ processes. Some jobs will go through as many as 10+ of them, and the order can vary as well. Each job is custom and I don't think I could fit them into a "job type" category. I was hoping I could maybe make a checklist for each job, and when an Item is checked and the card is moved into the done category, the job could move to the "to do" list on the board with the title of the next checklist item. Does this make sense?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

@Cheri Balding It's possible to create a rule that says something like "when a checklist item is completed in a card in the "Done", move the card to the board {checklistitemname}". I don't believe it's possible to say "when a checklist item is completed in a card in the "Done" list, find the next checklist item and move it to that {checklistitemname}". 

How many boards do you have for each area of your shop? Would it make sense to have a label for each area? So when a card moves to the "Done" list, it reads the label name and moves it to the corresponding board?

Cheri Balding March 8, 2022

I have one board for each area (11 area boards total) and several processes happen within each area of the shop. The issue is that some parts go through 3 of the areas but some go through 10+. Sometimes they go through a certain area more than once. I'm starting to think it's just not going to be possible to automate it all the way through. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

@Cheri Balding it sounds like it should be possible, but it's hard to give an exact butler command without knowing your workflow in a bit more detail. I'd suggest having a play around with two things:
1. Conditional triggers to see if there's a condition there that you could work with. E.g. "when a card with a custom field set to X moves to the done list".

2.  Variables to determine what board a card should be sent to. E.g. when a card moves to the done list, move to the card to board {checklistname}, or maybe you could have a custom checkbox for each area, so when one is checked, it moves to the corresponding board {customfieldname}.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events