Automation to move card to another list seems to copy not move

Leanne Jackson May 3, 2023

Hi everyone,

I have a master board where all potential dev requests are hosted, they then go through an approval process and the automation moves them into a list on the same board once approved. Should they be approved, the people who requested the dev have a separate board and the card appears on their board under a list called Outstanding to allow them to see their requests without seeing other requestors. 

What I would like to happen is then when we on the master board move the card from a list to the in production list, that this also moves the card in the requestors board. However, it seems to create a new card in that list and leaves the other card in the Outstanding list.

I am choosing the move action but it is seemingly copying, has anyone found a way around this? I have tried choosing to then archive the card but it archives on the master board too which is not ideal.

Any help is very much appreciated. 

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

HI @Leanne Jackson 

Welcome.  

I have read through several times and need to break down the structure a little more to help you.

1. Are the requesters putting a card on the dev requests board?
  2. When the new request is added to the dev requests board, are you using automation to create a linked card on the requestors board? 

Just as a pointer in the right direction for when you are mirroring actions in automation.

• The card that you have copied on another board, make sure you set the attribute "and link the cards together" on the copy card.
  • A simple automation to mirror a card move is, "When a card is moved into list "Approved", find the first card linked in attachments and move the top/bottom of list {triggercardlistname}"

Just as a side, there are some great power-ups from @Hipporello that can give you a more professional feel for dev requests or service desk activities, it is worth taking a look

https://www.hipporello.com/trello-power-ups

Leanne Jackson May 4, 2023

Hi @Dreamsuite Mike 

Thanks for coming back to me. It turns out I was "copying" the card rather than linking it so I've managed to get it to work!

The only thing I can't seem to get it to do is move the linked card to a different list when it is tagged or moved in the master board but i'll keep trying.

Thank you for your help! 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

@Leanne Jackson The list thing can either be 'hard coded' in the automation or could be referencing a custom field, or listname.

For the first one, lets say the list you want to move it into is called In Progress, you can do:

when a card is moved into list "Approved", find the first card linked in attachments and move to top/bottom of list "In Progress"

If you want it to move to a list with the same name, you can do: 

when a card is moved into list "Approved", find the first card linked in attachments and move to top/bottom of list {triggercardlistname}

I hope this helps

Leanne Jackson May 4, 2023

That's done the trick - thanks so much!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events