Automatically mark checklist item as complete

Joel Schaal December 5, 2019

Could we have an item in the checklist be marked as "completed" (checked) if the item's value is a card reference (a URL to a card) and that card is archived ?

Context: we have a board with cards that are milestones, and those milestone cards have a checklist that refer to other cards that are the stories this milestone must have to be considered complete. When we finish one of those stories, we archive it and it would have been neat if the checklist would automatically reflect that. See attached example:example.pngFor now we manually maintain the sync between the card state (archived or not) and the item (completed or not), and I know there may be some way to automate that with some Butler events, but it seems to me it would make sense that the platform would handle that natively.

So, is this something that could be done in the future or the changes are too big/not worthy enough ?

Thanks for any answer,
Joël.

2 answers

0 votes
Bryan Dumaguina April 30, 2020

I have a similar concern and didn't want to make a new thread. I just want to add that the {triggercardlink} solution worked for me.

Linked Cards are from Items.

Newly created Linked Cards are in the same board.

I imagine they should also work even though the created Linked Card is in a different board.

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

Hi

With butler try this rule :

When the card is archived, find the first card linked in the attachements, check item "{triggercardlink}"
Joel Schaal December 9, 2019

Sadly it did not work: 

Running command on board My Board.
I couldn't find any card links in the attachments of card https://trello.com/c/XXXXX.

The command finished running.

Is it because the referred cards in the Checklist are in another board (I created that rule on that other board) ?

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 9, 2019

Dont duplicate a rule. When you want to deploy it, you can check the item "Enable on this board" in butler Rules panel, but for this case, it will change nothing.

The attachment child to parent is missing. It depends on how you create the link between the  two cards. Your screenshot shows only the link parent to child.

First, this rule must be enable on the board where the archived card is.

Then, confirm that the card to archive has an attachment which links it to the card 'xxx - M5 : prepare for 1st scan'. If not, copy the link of "M5" card and paste it in the section attachment of "test" card.

Be careful : Dont paste this link (child to parent) in a checklist section of the card to archive. It will not work.

After that try again the rule.

malu.alves August 6, 2020

How can I confirm that the card to archive has an attachment which links it to the card?

I´m creating a link just copyng the card link and pasting it into the checklit item. What else can i do?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events