Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate setting due date for a checklist item

Pedro Echavarria May 11, 2023

Hi there folks - looking for an automation to automate the adding of due dates / times to my checklist items, similar to what I've set up in my cards across my boards. Have been scouring several boards but found no solution to this.

What I have right now for my cards:

"when I enter a card name containing a date, set start on the date, and set due on the date and remove the matched text""

What I want for my checklist items:

"when I enter a checklist item containing a date  set due on the date and remove the matched text""

2 answers

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2023

Tried mucking about and surprisingly this solution seems to work:

when an item not starting with "!" is added to a checklist, find a card with link "https://trello.com/c/xxxxxxx/", rename the card to "{checklistitemname}", and set the card's description to "{triggercardlink}"

Then have the specified card on its own board with the following rule

when I enter a card name containing a date, find a card with link "{carddescription}", remove item "{triggercarddescription}", and add item "!{textbeforematch} {textaftermatch}" to checklist "{*}"

Some of the limitations that you might be able to fix with some tweaking:

• The specified card is on its own board due to the fact that the second rule can't be filtered to only affect the one card. Also so you don't have this seemingly randomly named card on your board
  • The checklist item utilizes a "!" to ensure the rules don't infinitely chain in to each other, as Butler cannot discern between user actions and Butler actions. You could alternatively set it to only detect items that start with ! and then remove the !, or figure out some alternate way to detect the difference between the initial item and the final item. Perhaps if you only enter the date in a certain format you could have it only trigger if it sees a recognizable portion of that format?
  • The rules as is don't recognize which checklist its pulling from, defaults to the first checklist it finds. Possible alternate solution is to additional store the {checklistname}/{triggerchecklistname} to pinpoint where to "add item"? Or if you have a limited number of checklist names, have multiple sets of these rules that each point to a different specific card. That way you can "add item" to a checklist by name.
Pedro Echavarria May 16, 2023

Thanks for the input.... seems a bit complex to me... can you think of an easier way? 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

👇 😉

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

Theoretically you could create this via automations but you may need quite a lot of em...

I'll give an example:

when an item containing "Next Monday" is added to checklist "{checklistname}", remove item "{checklistitemname}", add item "{textbeforematch} {textaftermatch}" to checklist "{checklistname}", and set the item due the next monday

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events