It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Auto Emails to Team Members

New to Trello. I created a "Team" under the free account. There are two members. Whenever I make a change to the board, my team member does receive an email notification that I made a change. Notifications under my Settings is set to "send instantly."

However, when she adds something to the board, I do receive her notifications (even though I created the board). Can anyone help me figure out why she would not be getting the notifications? Is there another setting somewhere that I need to enable since I created the board?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jodi LeBlanc Community Leader Jun 05, 2019

Hi @Wendy Oden did you mean to say you don't get her notifications, or she doesn't get yours (or both)? In both instances that you referenced it says you and your colleague get the notifications. I read it twice but can't seem to figure it out. Once you clarify I will be able to troubleshoot, thanks so much :)

Jodi

If she is not getting the notifications, she needs to be watching the card, or be assigned that card in order to get notifications on the relevant cards that you update. You could also put in the comments @username (her handle) and @board to ensure all members get the updates. They would only get notifications on items relevant to them (assigned, watching or tagged).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jodi

Hi @Jodi LeBlanc 

I created the board and set myself as ADMIN. Then, I added (1) co-worker and set her permissions status to NORMAL. When she adds to the board, I receive an email notification from her. But, when I add to the board, she does not receive an email notification from me.

I changed her permissions setting to ADMIN earlier today and then she began to get email notifications from me. 

This seems odd from my perspective. If I am the admin and I add multiple team members with NORMAL permissions, they should get notifications from me when I change the board, right? (As long as they have their settings set to receive notifications.)

(i.e. I shouldn't have to change their permissions status to ADMIN in order for them to  get notifications from me, right?)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, 

Wendy

Thanks Wendy for the additional information. The collaborative nature of Trello allows a team to work on various initiatives on one board, but they only receive notifications on the cards that are relevant to them (to avoid notification fatigue/overload). For example, if you have a team of 6, and two are working on organizing an event, the other four would not need notifications on that event as they are not responsible. So that event card would have the two members assigned to it, and they would both get notifications on that card. If there was a comment that they wanted everyone to see, they would write @board and it would notify everyone on that board of the comment. If the other four team members wanted to follow what the others were doing, they would go to that card (or cards) and select the watch button, then they would receive notifications of what the others are doing.

Since you are a small team with two members, if you want them to receive a notification every time you make a change you would need to have them assigned to that card, mention them in the comment, and/or have them watch the board.

I did not realize that admin gets notification to every single change on the board, as I am currently admin of a team and I don't get notifications unless I am watching a card, assigned a card, or I am mentioned in a card (same as member).

Here's an article with more details:

https://help.trello.com/article/793-receiving-trello-notifications

Thanks so much,

Jodi

Hi Jodi,

Thank you for this additional information and the resource link. I do appreciate it!

Wendy

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc Community Leader Jun 06, 2019

Thanks so much Wendy, I hope it helps for your team board.

Have a wonderful day!
Jodi

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

Develop a new Habit during Lockdown

If you had to thrive a new habit during a lockdown, what would it be? Trello

1,620 views 15 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you