Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android app: suddenly bombarded under notifications

Michael Schaap August 21, 2017

I've had the Trello app installed on my Android phone for a few years, and never got any notifications.

But since the last update to the app, I am bombarded by notifications, and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn those off.

In fact, I'd really like the app to not run, and use data. in the background.  There doesn't seem to be an option for that either.  (There aren't many options at all.)

Why has this changed, and how can I fix this?

(Sure, I can fix it at the Android level, block background data or notifications for the Trello app.  But the app shouldn't be doing this in the first place without an opt-in, and in the very least offer an opt-out.  This behaviour is just rude.)

1 answer

0 votes
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Michael,

Are you using Android 8.0? In 8.0, notification settings are much more granular on the OS level, so they get handled in device settings; they can now define behavior for different types of notifications (@-mentions vs. due date notifications vs. new comments on subscribed cards, etc). Turning them all off entirely should definitely still be an option, but it does have to happen at the OS level now.

The improvements in Android 8.0's notification capabilities, and the most recent Trello for Android update that included those enhancements, together might explain what you're seeing.

If you're not running Android 8, I would encourage you to reach out to us directly at https://trello.com/contact so we can take a closer look. There might be something else going on there.

Michael Schaap September 2, 2017

Yes, this is on Android 8.0.

I've got about 100 apps on my smartphone, and I think that might still be below average.  If all apps turn on notifications without asking, our phones would become unusable.

So, yes, there should still be a global switch, and it should be default off (i.e. opt-in).

More important, IMO, is the second half of my question: why is Trello permanently syncing my projects (and notifying) without a setting to control this (preferrably opt-in)?

Again, if all apps do this, a vacation to a “roaming” area costs you a fortune,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events