Android app: suddenly bombarded under notifications

I've had the Trello app installed on my Android phone for a few years, and never got any notifications.

But since the last update to the app, I am bombarded by notifications, and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn those off.

In fact, I'd really like the app to not run, and use data. in the background.  There doesn't seem to be an option for that either.  (There aren't many options at all.)

Why has this changed, and how can I fix this?

(Sure, I can fix it at the Android level, block background data or notifications for the Trello app.  But the app shouldn't be doing this in the first place without an opt-in, and in the very least offer an opt-out.  This behaviour is just rude.)

1 answer

Hi Michael,

Are you using Android 8.0? In 8.0, notification settings are much more granular on the OS level, so they get handled in device settings; they can now define behavior for different types of notifications (@-mentions vs. due date notifications vs. new comments on subscribed cards, etc). Turning them all off entirely should definitely still be an option, but it does have to happen at the OS level now.

The improvements in Android 8.0's notification capabilities, and the most recent Trello for Android update that included those enhancements, together might explain what you're seeing.

If you're not running Android 8, I would encourage you to reach out to us directly at https://trello.com/contact so we can take a closer look. There might be something else going on there.

Yes, this is on Android 8.0.

I've got about 100 apps on my smartphone, and I think that might still be below average.  If all apps turn on notifications without asking, our phones would become unusable.

So, yes, there should still be a global switch, and it should be default off (i.e. opt-in).

More important, IMO, is the second half of my question: why is Trello permanently syncing my projects (and notifying) without a setting to control this (preferrably opt-in)?

Again, if all apps do this, a vacation to a “roaming” area costs you a fortune,

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Feb 02, 2018 in Trello

Atlassian User Groups: Trello edition

You’re invited to our first ever Trello User Groups   Good news for current and aspiring Trello enthusiasts! We’re launching Trello User Groups so that you can network, share ideas, solve ...

1,133 views 7 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot