Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding field names to Slack integration

Dominic Young July 8, 2021

Hello All

I think I am probably being stupid, so apologies in advance for that. I am trying to create a rule in Trello which automatically posts to a Slack channel when things happen, like a new card being created. Setting the trigger for this is easy and it works, but I want to add fields like {cardname} into the command so the Slack message can contain it. However, I can't see a way to do this because the Butler treats any text added in the message text field as text, doesn't recognise the curly quotes as referring to a field. I can't see any way to alter the command other than via the wizard-style editor (i.e. I can't see how to edit the text of the command which the editor generates). 

I'm using a free tier of Trello so maybe it's a limitation of that, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Ivory
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 8, 2021

Hey @Dominic Young 

These tutorial videos might help with setting up Butler to post messages. These are slightly different use cases for Butler and Slack but the message part is the same and should show you how to set them up so it posts correctly in Slack based on the variables.

https://youtu.be/H7gMmeTCIOI?t=375

https://youtu.be/i8Ahr-oUgN4?t=258

(I've started them at the point where I start setting up the Slack message part, but feel free to watch from the beginning for more details)

Hope that helps! Feel free to send us a screenshot of your set-up if you want more help so we can see how it looks for you. 

Cheers,

Dan

Dominic Young July 10, 2021

Great, thanks, I'll check them out!

Dominic

Like Dan Ivory likes this
Dominic Young July 13, 2021

Thanks all for your help. Embarrassingly enough the problem came down to fat-fingers. But I learned a lot!

Dominic

Like Dan Ivory likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Raegan Fordemwalt July 8, 2021

Hey, I use notifications in slack all the time, and using variables work fine in them for me. This is an example of one I have that works. Is this what you're doing, too?

image.png

I think the problem is I can't see how to directly edit that text, I can only access a sort of visual wizard tool... 

Like Gonnie likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2021

@Dominic Young 

Thanks for your post. It gets me thinking about text merge capability. I will update when I come up with something. 

Update :

I submit that if there is an easier way you should use it. (See my additional reply below - tested using {variable} in slack message and it works....so below is quite redundant for this specific purpose.

I created a module which will be called using Butler Http Request which will replace any text by looking for a match key-value pair in the payload and replace string with the value found.

Here's an example

{"text" : "The values of %cardidlong% and %cardname% should appear in the returned text in {httprepsonse.text}", "%cardidlong%" : "{cardidlong}", "%cardname%" : "{cardname}"}

You will use {httpresponse.text} in your Slack Message.

thanks! 

I have a lot to learn..!

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2021

@Dominic Young 

I had this simple test card command

post message "This is the card id from which this message is triggered : {cardidlong}" to Slack channel "#trello_slack" in workspace "Workspace" as myself

and the value is sent.

So I agree with @Raegan Fordemwalt 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events