Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental description delete

Gregoire de Mortillet May 14, 2018

Hello,

I was editing the description of a Trello card when I accidentally delete 90% of the content (about 40 lines of description, then I clicked SAVE... 

Is there any way to recover this loss of text or find the previous version saved somewhere?

Thank you for your help.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2018

Hi Gregoire,

It's going to feel a bit hackey but you can follow these instructions to recover the old description. The data is still on the board, so you are able to recover it from the JSON loaded by your browser.

Cheers,
Daniel

Gregoire de Mortillet May 14, 2018

It works perfectly! =D

Thanks a lot Daniel.

Esben Sune Rasmussen September 27, 2018

This solution did not work for me, is it somehow restricted based on which Plan you are on?

m.linke October 15, 2019

Works for me, too (using Firefox)
Thanks a lot for the advice !
But it somehow took a while--- perhaps I had a typo or something needed to get updated...

some extra : 
one can play with the functions, eg. get info for the entire board

trello.com/boards/BOARD-ID/actions?filter=updateCard:desc

fmquaglia_wp October 12, 2021

Worked really well for me. Thanks!

2 votes
Mike W-M May 19, 2020

I've just used a Chrome extension called "Trello Card History" to recover some card names. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/trello-card-history/efphljpdajpciigcmmfbhemjaanmoami

It examines the JSON for you without requiring you to export, so it was pretty useful for looking at several cards.

Mike

rosita_loth May 24, 2023

Wouw thanks time saver hahaha

1 vote
Dasha Shakov August 24, 2021

For anyone who stumbles upon this post – I recommend checking out Backups for Trello, an automated backup & recovery Power-Up for Trello.

With Backups for Trello, if you accidentally delete a card, list, or an entire board, you can easily bring it back in a few clicks.

You can find Backups for Trello here: https://trello.com/power-ups/5f68db5b510db84238769710

Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the solution!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events