Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access control at a card / task level

Phoenix Kiula March 16, 2020

Hello. We'd like to invite our various team members to a Board. I understand that each Board can have a List, which in turn has Tasks. (Not sure which one of these is cards). 

Using this language, we're looking for the most basic task management access control which I hope Trello can offer: 

• All team members to have access to Board.
  • Disable viewing a list for some users 
  • Disable viewing a task (card?) for some users 
  • Enable viewing but disable editinga task for some users 

Thanks for any pointers! 

1 answer

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2020

@Phoenix Kiula you can't disable viewing a list for some users, nor disable viewing cards for some users, but you can create a board that is team viewable, disable self-joining and then allow comments only from team members.

Any other access control needs to be done on a per board basis, and using card synching solutions can provide a streamlined way of achieving this:

https://help.trello.com/article/1097-mirroring-cards

Phoenix Kiula March 16, 2020

Thank you. Comments etc are not very useful. For any corporate team, making multiple boards just to cater to diverse access rights makes the whole Trello thing pointless. I suppose this is OK for tiny startup teams where everyone knows everything. Disappointing, but well it's probably not the right tool for us. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2020

@Phoenix Kiula well, that depends. The creation of Trello boards for this purpose is only onerous if one needs to do it manually.

The strength of Trello is its fantastic API and built-in automation tools.

So for example Butler allows lots of your workflows to be automated in Trello, and I created an open source "butler-like" automation framework in Google Apps Script called Trellinator which allows you to create sophisticated business systems at a fraction of the cost that you would normally incur attempting to automate using popular "no code" platforms or writing the automation code from scratch:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Since Trellinator is written in Google Apps Script you also have convenient access to other Google APIs like docs, which means that in addition to automatically creating and linking to boards, and managing membership of those boards, you could automatically create access controlled Google documents linked to the cards for holding certain information in a spot that not everyone could see it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events