Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to create content within Trello

Stats Student June 1, 2019
Hi, one suggested use for Trello is for knowledge base management, however none of the sample boards I have seen so far shows any real implementation of a knowledge base. And I think the issue is with Trello cards being too task oriented with very-very limited ability to create any content, while a knowledge base would require something like a wiki. Same with an FAQ - can start with a set of questions but as the body of knowledge grows, it would be helpful to grow the FAQ and keep track of changes. The description field in a card just isn’t suitable for this.
More generally, a Trello card lets one define a simple task, but as the task is being worked on, which may entail conducting research, producing content, etc - there is no place to save this. Sure, I can create a Google Document and add it as an attachment to the card, but that’s a whole lot of work for putting down a couple of paragraphs and a few bullet points. On a related note, I struggle to see how to use Trello for any project planning. I see how cards flow through various boards (todo, in progress, done) as they get worked on and completed and how cards move up and down within a board as their priority changes. But I don’t understand how I can group a bunch of cards/tasks into various projects and have a view on how much of a project is done. I’m fairly new to Trello so would appreciate any insight others can share on how they are using Trello for the scenarios I mentioned.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2019

Trello is not for knowledge bases, in my opinion.  It's a transient list of stuff that needs attention or for memos, but it does not feel right for long-term storage of documentation or knowledge.  A card can easily be edited, moved to a place it's hard to find, or deleted, and that's wrong for knowledge bases.

For knowledge bases and documentation, I would look for something more structured and built for writing and sharing.  Confluence for example.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events