Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Collapse list?

Michael Coffey January 29, 2018

I would like the ability to collapse a list (for example, "Completed" or "Done") but still able to drag a card into it.  I'm guessing this is not possible.  If not, can this be added as a feature?  Thanks.

9 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2018

Hi Michael,

You're right, that's not something that's currently possible within Trello, but I'll let the team know it's something you're looking for, and we'll consider that for future versions of Trello!

MSMR February 7, 2021

Hi - quick workaround is to just use the filter/search function.

Type a specific value, assign to specific member or whatever, and just search for this attribute.

Voila, all other assignments without said attribute is hidden.

However, collapse/drop-down lists is something that should still be implemented in Trello.

Like # people like this
8 votes
Deleted user November 19, 2019

Yes, I'm missing the ability to collapse lists as in KanbanFlow.

For example, I have a planner with a list for every day of the week + next week + later + Done + Projects. This gives me 11 lists which won't fit onto my screen. It would be great to be able to focus on Today, Tomorrow and Done without needing the clutter of the other days.

I know there's a Chrome extension to do this but I'm using Safari on Mac.

Can we have a Power-Up for this, please?

Thanks.

Alan

6 votes
oct31baby December 27, 2019

I'm beyond floored that we can't collapse a list! Isn't the point of Trello to simplify systems, keeping everything visually "clean"?

oct31baby December 27, 2019

.. forgot to mention, collapsing lists would make it easy to have multiple rows too! That way you can see more of what is on your board without having to keep swiping over to get to the end.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Leslee Kimbrell January 21, 2022

This has been on the discussion boards since 2012 at least, how has Trello not made this a standard feature yet.

Wally Hines September 28, 2022

The same way they haven't made the Recently Viewed section an option you can turn on or off. That's been on the suggested improvements just as long.

3 votes
Xaraxia August 2, 2018

I'm currently trialling Trello after several months using KanbanFlow, and the #1 thing I miss is the ability to collapse lists into their headings - all the visual clutter makes it hard to focus. I want to check my "waiting" list once per day. I want to check my "backlog" only after I'm through my "do next" list. I don't need to see them the rest of the time - it's distracting.

2 votes
Gavin Townsley July 18, 2018

I would also love this functionality.

1 vote
Gabriel Romay October 10, 2022

I think this would be a useful feature to add to Trello. I had the idea of having collapsable lists and found the chrome extension and it's a game changer for productivity.

Any plans to add it in the future?

1 vote
Erin Suermann July 18, 2022

This Chrome extension is fine if you want to use Trello in a web browser, but not if you want to use a locally installed version or the Trello mobile app.  It would be ideal if Folds could be a power-up!!!

0 votes
Deleted user July 29, 2020

But Trello seems to have that function already... here's what one of my Boards shows. Just that I don't know how the 'Collapse' 'twizzles' got inserted!

Collapsing lists.JPG

saif71 September 5, 2020

Looks like you're using a browser extension for that.

Like Cara likes this
Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

There are a couple of chrome extensions that include the drop down ability.

Chrome extension "PM for Trello" includes it amongst the functions, along with ability to add estimated/consumed hours.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pm-for-trello/bpoinaajmddigpifcllncafoienemiid?hl=en

Chrome extension "collapisable trello lists" by WebRender ...  is only for drop down list ability, so dispenses with anything you dont require and keeps the board clean from extras.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/collapsible-trello-lists/kejemfjfgoaekplmemlkjljcfloiemho?hl=en

I use the trello labels, so addition of labels from the PM plugin is distraction litter ... something not used but some idiot will put something in there for sure, although the hrs function saves needing a powerup to take out of my board allocation.

Ideally, use plugins for visual, and powerups for data ... although PM's data is similar to markdown formatting and stored in the title text, so if you know how to read what the numbers in brackets mean, you can read it off a list ... hrs are stored in (allocated)[used].

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

Add the application Trello Folds", its a chrome powerup.

If you put a card title ##--- or ##anythingUwant it will make that a collapsable, vertically.

So, you could have it as a ##PREVIOUS 
People without the application see it as previous cards, you can then block out anything below and say move things down below it after a week or when you want it out of view.

Then, you can see part of the picture on your screen, and hide from view naff stuff thats old news.

Magnus Nord May 9, 2021

As the author of Trello Folds, I'd be really glad to get feedback on the functionality and if you miss something (or need it ported to another browser, etc.)

It is correct that you can both fold items within one list and entire lists with the extension (see pic below).

You find it on Chrome Web Store

image.png

Like # people like this
Cara August 12, 2021

Trello Folds has CHANGED MY LIFE!  Thank You so much for your contribution!!  Is it possible to get Trello Folds on Safari at all?  I already have it and love it on a chrome extension but I would love to use it on safari as well.  I use chrome for personal projects and safari for work.  Thank You! -Cara :)

Like Carlos Granada likes this
Carlos Granada November 3, 2021

Hi Magnus. Your plugin Trello Folds is a game-changer for me and my team. Thank you very much for your contribution 😀 I don't understand why this is not a native option or power-up on Trello. 

Now the sad news, the plugin is broken 🥲 

Like Cara likes this
Cara November 29, 2021

Yes, the extension is not working for me either, for weeks now! :(

Magnus Nord November 29, 2021

It would be helpful with some more information other than "it stopped working".

Screenshots, steps to reproduce, etc. is helpful. Use the Chrome web store page or file an issue on the project's Github page.

I have noticed there are other issues reported there already (maybe from you even?) but any additional information is welcome as it still works for me.

I will investigate further though.

Carlos Granada November 29, 2021

Hi 👋 Magnus, I did create the issue 72 on GitHub. 

Wally Hines September 28, 2022

@Magnus Nord Any plans to create this as a Trello PowerUp? I and most of our clients don't use Trello through the web but only as the desktop app. 

Magnus Nord September 30, 2022

I have thought about making it a power up instead. Especially after the changed pricing. But for the foreseeable future I will not have time to work on this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events