Trello does not auto-save your text. Every time you have to remember to save when you write anything

Big Kate April 9, 2018

1st issue- No auto-save

When I am on google hangouts, using discourse, hell even my IRC handler, what I type is saved. If i move the focus of the input away to something else for a second all that i have written is not deleted. Trello seems incapable of behaving like everyone else.

I remember the bad old days of the web when Trello behavior was normal, now it is is the only context where I have to explicitly save each and every time. The number of times I have had rewrite whole paragraphs, go look up data I have lost...

If I had more tuits (spoons) i would have gone in search of a tool that does auto-save, but for now I have to live within in my means in what otherwise is a great  product.

2nd issue - instant deletion from checklists with no recovery

Whilst cards can be archived - you would think that checklists would just be  a recursive reimplementation of this, but sadly Not!

If i can delete lists, cards etc and get them back, why does this not apply to sections in a checklist?

I'm not even given an "are you sure you want to do that Dave". Nope! Just instant deletion. I so like having to repeatedly write out the same card over and over again because my fingers hit the wrong part of the screen.

3rd Issue Checklist handling on Mobile

Having the auto-deletion, no save given what so ever, dustbin/rubbish bin; at the end of the first few lines! The place one is most likely to going to miss-type. especially if one is editing what one has said. Is a constant sourced of screams of pain. Why cannot this be moved to say the bottom of the page????  This just very, very bad form design

None of this is even rocket science

Rocket science is easy - its ballistics!   Now rocket engineering that's crazy hard!!!

its been solved elsewhere years ago, yet this keeps making Trello a source of pain and grief, one that only disability has topped me from finding something better!

Please ring Trello into the 21st Century!

Thanks

Kate

1 comment

Ryan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2020

Hey Kate,

Thanks for writing in with feedback. We really appreciate that you take the time to send this through to us, as it is from this sort of passion for Trello, that we can continue to make a product that people love to use.

Regarding Autosave, this should actually happen when you are using Trello e.g. editing the Description, a comment of the card title. Does this not happen for you? Where do you see this not happening?

I've noted down your feedback regarding deletion of checklist and the design of this, so I'll pass this on to our product teams for them to review.

Once again, really appreciate you taking the time to write this - enjoy the rest of your week!

Ryan

Will Melones October 24, 2023

On autosave…I see that it has been 5 years, but this is still an issue in iOS. I’m constantly losing significant amounts of writing because I’ve been pulled away to another app before I have the chance to close the card. I’m so accustomed to behaviors like the native Notes app that it’s second nature to assume the text will be preserved. At least locally on my device, if not Trello’s servers.

What hurts most is that if I don’t close the app but come back to it later in the app switcher, I can see all of my work in the app screenshot preview just before it vanishes into thin air, usually leaving the first few sentences.

Like M_ Talbert likes this
M_ Talbert
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 12, 2023

I keep having the same issue happen to me.  It is such a waste of time, and because this has happened more than once, I now have to switch to taking notes in Google drive instead. I can't keep spending time creating significantly detailed notes for me to lose everything just from pulling away for a short minute or two.

Rohit LLL
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 17, 2024

I came here to look for this same issue and looks like they have not addressed this issue at all. It is very frustrating when you are making important review notes during meetings with clients on specific cards and then you move away from trello for couple of minutes and then every important details is lost. 

I can't believe they have not addressed such a simple yet important issue. Very disappointing.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events