Making Rules

John Chambers May 11, 2022

Hi Guys! first time post - hope i get this right. 

When making rules on a template: 

Does that rule get associated with any subsequent cards made with that template? 

And the one question i REALLY need assistance with is the URL section. I want to include the url for the card that the rule is being executed on, is there a variable like % cardurl % or something i can put in there so i don't have to update the rule on every card? 

Thank you in advance!! looking forward to becoming a contributor to this community!! 

URL-rule.jpg

3 comments

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022

Hi John - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Are you on Cloud or Server? 

What specific rule are you wanting to execute?

Each card has a unique value called the key - e.g. ABC-123

So the URL could be concatenated to be something like this:

https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/browse/{{issue.key}}

Like # people like this
John Chambers May 11, 2022

Thank you for the welcome! and the response! 

I can't answer you cloud or server question, i will say cloud though bc our trello isn't tied to our url.

This is the rule i made..... 

when the "Graphic Approval" item is checked, send an email notification to "jchambers@flobal.com" with subject "Graphic Approved - Final Approval Pending per Cara" and message "Please review this on the Trello card for this FlashLink card.", and send an email notification to "klynch@flobal.com" with subject "Graphics Uploaded to Trello" and message "Please review Trello as images have been updated on a card you are affiliated with."

But there is a rule area where i can put in a url, but i'd like to be able to do that via a variable so its not having to be updated every time the card is created via the template. 
John Chambers May 12, 2022

to clarify, the url that i need is the one to the card itself. To insert it into the rule so when the change happens, they can click on it and access the card that they're checklist task has been completed on. 

i found this page, but i don't see annnnnything about the card url. 

https://help.trello.com/article/1157-variables#variables-with-specific-triggers 

Can someone tell me that they just left the card url variable off the list by accident? :-) 

UPDATED:::: the call it card link - {cardlink}

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

Hi @John Chambers !

Welcome to the community!

Like John Chambers likes this

Thank you so much!! 

Okay guys - I added the URL in the copy of the email notification that gets sent. 

It looks like this. 
\n\n[{cardname}]\n({cardlink})\n{cardlabelnames}

any tips on getting them on their own line? And what are the significance of the the [ ] around the card name. 

@John Funk @edwin vasquez  I wanted to thank you guys for reaching out and assisting. It's truly, greatly appreciated!!! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

So, very sorry but I thought you were using Jira. I am not familiar enough with Trello to answer that question. You probably want to open a new question under the Trello product. 

John Chambers May 13, 2022

I got it man - we're good. I even figured out how to "bold" text in the notification. It's amazing!

Now.......... Just trying to figure out how to implement this new rule skill across all of our boards.

Thank you again for the assistance!! It got me thinking for sure!!

(we DO also use Jira so, you weren't too far off)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2022

Great - glad you are making progress with it!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events