I need to set up a SAFe like set of kanbans: portfolio, program, and team.

Rick Michaels October 3, 2019

I need to set up a SAFe like set of kanbans: portfolio, program, and team. I totally get the team kanban and am experimenting with Screenful kanban metrics. I need for the team kanban items from multiple teams to roll up to the program kanban to produce burn up charts. Then the program kanban items to roll up to the portfolio kanban. Again to produce burn up charts. I will want to measure the three kanban boards using Screenful type metrics.

Do you have an article describing how this can be set up?

1 comment

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2019

@Rick Michaels it sounds like what you're talking about is a sort of hierarchy, so you have a portfolio board, with one or more programs, each with one or more teams.

I suggest a "board of boards" approach where each card in the portfolio board links to a program board, and each card in the program board then links to a team board:

https://blog.trello.com/related-cards-related-boards

In terms of metrics, I'm not sure there's anything that will allow you to get detailed reporting "bubbling up" all the way through as a power up, but you could do something like this with Trellinator:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

I don't know what sort of metrics you have in mind, but you might log card movements, completions, time in list etc. in the parent cards.

Rick Michaels October 4, 2019

This was helpful and easy to do. You are correct that I am not able to visualize the subordinate work progress unless i click into that subordinate board. This loses context. 

I took a brief tour of Trellinator and did not understand the application of the power up with my objectives.

Thanks.

Like Elizabeth Jones likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events