How to start using Trello & Best Practices

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2019

Hi there!
I would like to open a discussion on topic: How to start using Trello & Best Practices.

• Do you have any good tips for beginners?
  • What use should I avoid?
  • Are you missing anything in Trello?

I hope that this discussion will be benefit not only for beginners :-)

Thank you all!

Pavel

6 comments

Yevhen Rohovets
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2019

Hi, Pavel

In this discussing you can find a lot of tips https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/Using-Trello-for-Project-Management/td-p/1151978#M648

I use trillo as a personal board in addition to Jira
Jira and Trello can integrate and manage tasks in one place
Trello has many plugins that extend the functionality
Do not overload the board with marks and remarks. The board should be user friendly

If anything - write me)

Like # people like this
Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2019

Hi @Yevhen Rohovets,

Thank you for a great tip! Awesome :)

Pavel 

Like Nate Fenimore likes this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2019

Hi Pavel,

I'm loving the newish feature "About this board". It gives everyone an idea of what the board is all about.

A common mistake to make it to set up a board with a current team, and then expect anyone else joining later to figure it out because it's so intuitive, right?

For most setups, I write up a few cards in the first column as "Overview" to spell out the intended workflow with screenshots, and any other basic info for the team that uses the board (beyond "About this board" of course).

Cheers!

Carolyn

Like # people like this
Ruben A Sanchez September 11, 2019

Hi,

I do something similar.

In addition I make the first card under each column give a brief summary of what that column is really about.

Great idea about the screenshots. I'll start to do the same.

Nate Fenimore August 15, 2019

One thing we have implemented is having a board with more specific tasks for people that goes pretty granular for people. But for our project managers, we have a more high-level board that allows them to see what is going on across all projects. A couple of things we do is in the high-level board we link over to the other boards so they can navigate across but also we use Ganttify (https://gantt-chart.com) so they can see everything. 

Like # people like this
Megan Kelly August 15, 2019

@Nate Fenimore  This is very helpful.  Off to check out Ganttify now.

Like Pavel Junek likes this
Megan Kelly August 15, 2019

One thing I found out which would seem simple but guess I had a blonde moment.  When you are using Trello for a team where they need to get in and access the board or cards, if you attach any type of document to the card using Google, make sure you give all those users access to the document ahead of time.  People started saying they couldn't access certain documents and I thought it was a Trello issue until I figured out DUH I had to give them access to the documents through Google.  I could have kicked myself.  Can't believe I'm even posting it here since I'm usually pretty tech savvy.  BUT....if I did it I'm sure others may too...lol

Also there are a ton of Trello hacks on Pinterest you can research too.

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 15, 2019

I love using pictures as list headers.  Dragging things into the "done" column is much more satisfying when it looks like this (shoutout to Ali Brosh):

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 12.16.34 PM.png

Like # people like this
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2019

One thing we have found is that if you are using Trello free, then make sure that you have more than one person that is a board admin. That way if your board admin leaves you can still make membership changes. We have found this out the hard way and had to get a hold of the past employee and ask him to add another person as the board admin.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events