How do you handle recurring tasks in Trello?

Of course, I use Trello on a daily basis since I work for Atlassian! Here's a glimpse at my Trello board:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 9.02.46 AM.png

However, one challenge I have is with recurring tasks. Right now I use Trello for everything except recurring tasks, which I put on Google calendar.  

I know there are lots of Trello productivity experts here (@Jodi LeBlanc, I'm looking at you) and wondering how you personally handle recurring tasks. Do you use the Card Repeater Power-Up* and do you find that this works for you? Or do you handle it another way?

*I haven't tried this because I never use due dates -- just drag from one column to another -- but I may have to experiment with this one. 

3 comments

Jodi LeBlanc Community Champion Feb 28, 2018

Thanks so much @Monique van den Berg for your kind words :) I have used the card repeater in the past and it worked great, however I don't have many daily recurring tasks (mostly weekly), so I have reverted to using the "copy" card feature, and then I assign due dates manually.

I love using the due date feature, because it allows you to check off that you completed the work on the card (turning it from red or yellow to green). This is a to-do-list dream (the checklist is awesome too), as I missed the ticking things off manually from my old days of my pen and paper to do lists. Does anyone else relate to the accomplished feeling when you tick off a completed task? That feature is small but mighty :)

Jodi LeBlanc Community Champion Feb 28, 2018

Wow I really need to start using the card-repeater power up, I just tried it out again after your post, I didn’t realize it was for weekly and monthly tasks, I thought it was only for daily. I’m going to get back to using that right away, thanks @Monique van den Berg - it will save me at least 10-15 mins of manual work :)

I think Card Repeater Power-Up  actually works better if you don't use due dates, as it doesn't handle due dates correctly.

For example, if I create a "File Taxes" card that repeats every February 1 with a due date of April 15, 2018, then February 1, 2019 (and every Feb 1 from then on) it will create a new "File Taxes" card with a due date of April 15, 2018. That is, it doesn't update the due date relative to the new card's creation date.

As a workaround I created a calendar in Google Calendar just for repeating Trello cards, and I use Zapier to turn these events into cards. The card is created when the event starts, and the due date is set to the end of the event. I can then use Google Calendar's repeating event functionality to have repeating events with sensible due dates. I can even look at future instances and tweak them before they fire (eg: if the tax deadline next year is different, I can adjust the due date in calendar before the card is created).

@Laurence Gonsalves Ooh, that's very interesting, since I currently already use my Google calendar for repeating tasks, this might be very handy. I will check out Zapier, thank you for the tip!

Wow. I have never heard of Card Repeater Power-Up. I just move the card everyday (which now sounds stupid). Thanks, I am going to try it.

Comment

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Wednesday in Trello

Get inspired with Trello & earn free Gold

A blank Trello board can be both a beautiful and intimidating thing. How many lists should I have? Is creating 10 labels overkill? How can I best track my progress? Is there a way...

50 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you