Dragging a website address from the Chrome address bar into a Trello list. No Preview anymore.

Ahmed Assal May 27, 2021

Help!!! This is really disrupting my workflows  and personal systems

Issue: Dragging a website address from the Chrome address bar into a Trello list does not generate Website preview as a card cover, instead it creates a new link card.

How can I restore the old functionality...

1 comment

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2021

Hi @Ahmed Assal 

Totally understand looking for that functionality, but that's not something we can always guarantee will work.

The preview generated is based off the data the website in question provides when creating that card from the URL. If the website doesn't provide information that allows us to generate that, it will be missing like you've found.

I'm sorry there's not more we can do to always show those, but hopefully that helps explain the behavior at least.

Ahmed Assal June 2, 2021

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you mentioned of course but that is not what I meant.

Aside from the fact that some sites do not work with this feature. which is always true.. However, now it is almost all sites do not work with this feature in my case. So it was like %2 of the sites did not work with this feature but now it is totally the opposite, i.e. %2 work with the feature and %98 do not work anymore... 

There is something I read somewhere...If I have an account on Atlassian, which I do for my Jira workspace then this behavior will show since Trello will detect that I have an account on Atlassian and somehow this misses the feature. I could not find the article anymore.

What happened to the drag and drop feature is very recent, I have to tell you that I have been using this feature to create my own boards to organize and manage bookmarks and links,  and this has been my workflow for almost 4-5 years now and it was amazing... Every link is on a single card that has a cover that shows what is the link about along with a nice title for the card.

Now it produces a new type of card, which I have never seen or heard of before, a link card and it is the ugliest card it can be, just a URL link on the card cover and nothing else. This card is convertible but still no way I can get the old behavior.

Garrett
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2021

Hey Ahmed,

Thanks for the extra detail. Hm, that does sound more strange now. I'm suspecting that link card type might be playing a part then.

So we can do a bit more digging, can you send us a message over at https://trello.com/contact please?

Just be sure to include an example of a card that previously worked as expected, vs one that looks incorrect now. That should help us investigate further.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events