Calendar solution for real estate management

Tamir Alush August 3, 2018

First time poster, long time reader....

I've been using trello for my real estate management business. I have this awesome board with a card for each tenant with useful information such as property address, move-in date, lease expiration, deposit yes/no, last month yes/no, etc... (using Custom Fields).

I have this manual system for tracking rental deposits where I write down the amount that was deposited for each month, the deposit date, and whether it's a late payment or not. It's the only missing link on trello and I can't find a way to visualize this on my board. I tried looking around at the different power-ups but couldn't find anything that would fit. Any ideas besides writing it down on the Description field?

Screen Shot 2018-08-04 at 12.54.30 AM copy.png

1 comment

sportsscientist August 6, 2018

Sounds like you have a tested system, but if I were you I might opt to make each property a list. . .and then make each month a card, or perhaps one card for "Rent" with a check list for each month.  I would change the due date to the next month each time I recorded a rent deposit, and then use the comments to note when rent was late.

The list would permit the use of other cards for additional aspects of property management, like repairs, and I might even add a card for documents and info like the least and tenant contact details.

Then when the tenant moves out and a new one moves in, I could update that card and archive past rent cards while leaving future rent cards intact.

I would also create a "Completed" list, on to which I could move rent cards or repair cards that are closed out or otherwise finished.

Tamir Alush August 7, 2018

Sounds good. Thanks for the input! I'd really hate to use a secondary board for this. One idea I had was to create a checklist for payments so I can check off each month. It's not the perfect solution but I think that's what I might end up with.

sportsscientist August 7, 2018

If I understand the way you use it currently, I don't think you need a new board?  Instead you are just arranging your board a little differently and making each tenant/property a list.

Personally I like the "feel" of moving cards to the completed list (as opposed to checking items off a checklist), which is why I make cards for the repeating tasks I have to complete such as approving hours or completing monthly reports.

Anyway, Trello is also good for procrastinating so I mocked up a board as if I were managing several properties. :)

Pic1.jpg

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events