A mom needing simplicity! Apple iCalendar integrating with Trello

Lovie Gilbreath December 3, 2020

I have a teen with dyslexia and other learning disabilities and have realized that Trello lists (using cards as items in each list) is exactly what I need and my teen needs VISUALLY and I'm just beginning to see all of the possibilities of Trello. I realize this is more of a question than a discussion topic, but I hope by posting here I may be able to get some advice from you all. If not allowed, please just delete.

What would be completely life changing for us, is to be able to have a board comprised of lists.  Each list would be titled with a day/date (Example:  Monday 11/23/2020, Tuesday 11/24/2020, etc.) and have 7 of these lists at a time (being able to visualize that current day and the 6 upcoming days)

At the end of each day, the cards for that day that haven't been completed will be moved to the next day, then that days "list" would be archived or deleted.   I would love to have a power-up (or whatever is needed) to automatically add a new day "list" onto the end so that at the end of each day when I delete the current "list", a new list is being automatically added so that there is always a 7 day outlook on the board.  I believe I can figure out how to do this on my own.

Here's the kicker.... what would be the sprinkles on top of this cupcake is to somehow get daily tasks/items from my Apple iCalendar and have them automatically be listed in the corresponding Day/"List" when it is created.   I don't know if this is possible with a power-up, using IFTTT app, Zapier, or if there is a simpler way and I am making it way more complicated than it needs to be.  I'm desperate to figure out a successful way to make this happen.

** A little off topic, but when Trello refers to iCalendar, do they specifically mean Apple/Mac Calendar, or does it refer to any calendar (google, apple, etc.)  I use all apple products and assume anything beginning with a lower case i implies Apple (iPhone, iPad, etc.)   When Trello asks for your iCalendar URL is it referring to any calendar you use (google calendar, apple iCal, etc)?     

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

That would be a superb use for a Trello board, and I can think of several other places that could really use it.

I am sure this is possible.  The popular "Butler" power-up can do some of it, but I don't think all of it.  I'm specifically stuck on

• moving cards to the "next" list - Butler can move them, but wants a fixed name for the source and target column. 
  • creating a new list with a dated name
  • archiving/deleting old lists
  • the calendar export/send has totally stumped me

I need to point out that I am a happy standard Trello user, not a power-user or expert.  I've used a handful of power-ups and do not know the ecosystem for it.

With my limited experience, I can get you something that might get you close by using Butler.  I was able to rig up a board that had fixed columns - Today, Tomorrow, Tomorrow +1, +2, +3, +4, +5, which means you don't have to move cards and can archive "done" ones easily.  It's not quite what you need, but it might be a starting option.  I'm sure other people could do a lot better (and I'm 100% sure that someone willing to do a bit of coding could do the whole lot, exactly as specified!)

There are a lot of other people here with a lot more experience than I have.  I am going to cheat and name-drop the person that I've learned the most Trello stuff from, and hope they do not mind - @Esme Crutchley 

Two off-topic comments:

• You're not off-topic at all!  "delete if not allowed" - it's the opposite!  This is exactly the sort of question the Community is here for, and it's making me think and go learn new things.

iCal is an open format for calendar files.  Some people refer to it as iCalendar, which isn't wrong, and Apple used to have a calendar application called iCal which muddied the waters a bit.  Google Calendars, Outlook Calendars, CalDav services, Apple Calendars and and and, all support at least import and export.   So, yes, Trello is just asking for a link to any iCal friendly calendar system.
Like Hana Kučerová likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events