As a marketer focused on conversion rate optimization, I found myself frustrated with my current process for managing tests and documenting those results.
I was using Google Sheets, but realized there were a lot of limitations, specifically because there was no way to organize all the test details in a nice little box without having things look too crowded. Since I wasn't really using Google Sheets to actually make any calculations, I decided to try to organize my conversion test life in Trello.
It took me a little bit to set things up exactly the way I wanted, but when I did...
IT WAS PERFECT. Love at first sight.
Here's how I did it:
1) Organized lists by test locations.
My first two lists are "Ideas" (where I drop test ideas) and "Live Tests" (which are tests that are currently running).
All the remaining lists are titled with the specific placements. For example: Facebook Ad Headlines, Facebook Ad Creative, RTP (Real Time Personalization) on Learn Page, etc. Once a test is completed, I move it to the list for its placement.
My goal was for someone to be able to look at my board and say, "What do we know about an audience that is true over multiple placements?" or "What do we know about a placement that is true with multiple audiences?" I needed a better way to see the trends and high-level findings from all my tests.
2) Used labels to categorize the audience.
Since I work with several audiences, I needed an easy way to clarify which audience was being tested. (After all, any good conversion-rate-optimizer will tell you that your audience is key, and just because you test one thing with one audience doesn't mean it's true with another!)
Alternatively, I could have flipped this and created lists for the audience, and used labels to clarify the placement.
3) Created custom fields to add test data.
Each card = a test.
I used the Custom Fields Power-Up to add:
- Start Date
- End Data
- Control Click Rate
- Variant Click Rate
This helped me keep track of all the data as I run a test, so once it's completed and moved into a list with its placement, I can easily see how much that test improved the control and how statistically significant it is.
BONUS: I added screenshots of the tests to the Trello cards. It's super handy to reference and share with other people!
This process has been so much easier to manage than my Google Sheet, and I'm really excited about it. Let me know if this is helpful, or if you have other ideas for how to improve this board!