Powering Up Card-Back Attachments + An Update on Confluence and Jira Power-Ups

[UPDATE] Thanks to all of the feedback from the community, we have made the decision to keep the Jira and Confluence Power-ups! We're so happy to see so much love for the power-ups and are glad it's serving you well. Both the Jira and Confluence Power-ups are back up on the marketplace and we no longer have plans to deprecate it. 

Trello + Smartlinks = :heart: 

trello-smartlinks-board.pngAttach links to your work in Jira, Confluence, Figma, Loom + hundreds of other tools, and see them displayed as smart cards in Trello.

Trello has made a number of improvements to the card-back experience, including adding that supports Smartlinks from pasted links. Smartlinks put you in control, and your pasted links can be used as link cards on your board or inline on the card back in a variety of locations and powerful ways. Our users love Trello’s new Smartlinks features, and usage is growing exponentially, all starting with the ease of pasting a link.

Using Smartlinks in Trello

trello-smartlinks-cardback.png

Simply Copy/Paste and go! If you paste a Confluence, Jira or other link from a cloud storage or a third party app into Trello’s description or comments/activity feature, you’ll be able to choose how your link is displayed and can preview or work with the linked items, all from the Trello card back.

Check out some examples below: 

link_picker3_sm.gif

For tips and tricks for Trello Smartlinks, see:

Moving Forward - Confluence and Jira Power-Ups will be sunset

Given Trello’s existing rich Smartlink support, we’ll be sunsetting the Confluence and Jira Power-Ups by Jul 31, 2023 and will devote our efforts to adding additional Smartlinks-powered features for Trello. To support this transition, new installs of the Confluence and Jira Power-Ups will be suspended on May 15, 2023.

Stay tuned for more updates about new Smartlink-enabled features and additional guidance for transition from the Confluence and Jira Power-Ups to Smartlinks features.

Happy Smart-linking!

48 comments

Jan van Luijn May 23, 2023

Wonderful, but where does that leave us with the create issue from trello card feature?

Like # people like this
Michael Heikka
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2023

Trello Automation can help with this. 

Users can create a Card Button in Trello Automation that creates a Jira issue using a details from a Trello card. 

The card-back button can be enabled for one board or all boards in a Workspace (if you have permissions).

Example below:

Example Automation Rule.png 

Some relevant documentation links:

Jira and Slack Integrations for Trello Automation 

Trello Automation Variables 

Like Gaurav Kataria likes this
Tal Sela May 24, 2023

Why? This is such a great feature for the Atlassian ecosystem! Please consider keeping it.

Like # people like this
Jan van Luijn May 24, 2023

Thanks @Michael Heikka , so instead of a very useful feature that works out of the box, you are suggesting that I fiddle with code to build something and need to change it (or have other people change it for specific projects?

UPDATE: 

seems to not work for me: 

Running "Create Jira Story" on board "Enhanced User Management"

An error occurred while trying to create the issue.

Like # people like this
Benjamin Pesti May 24, 2023

Our team uses this plugin frequently, it eases our work a ton, please consider keeping it around! :( 

Like # people like this
Kristina Academia May 24, 2023

My team uses this plugin as well. I did try the automation button suggested and that isn't working for me. I agree with a lot of the other commenters here, please consider keeping it. 

Like # people like this
David Sexton May 25, 2023

This needs to maintain the functionality of placing the link to Trello card on the Jira ticket when you use the Jira power up.  That is something we use extensively.  Why would this functionality be removed?  It makes it so easy to update the customer facing portal (trello) when the developer facing (jira) ticket is updated.

Like # people like this
Michael Heikka
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2023

Good feedback. Trello Automation can add the Trello card link text to the newly-created Jira issue either in the Jira issue description or as a comment.  The Trello card link is available in the {cardlink} Automation variable.   

The example below adds the Trello {cardlink} to both the Description and as a Comment to the newly created Jira issue: 

Card Button2.png

Stay tuned for additional information and updates for using Trello + Jira as Trello continues on its Smartlinks journey. 

Like # people like this
Jan van Luijn May 26, 2023

@Michael Heikka @Ellie Kulick I'm curious about the updates because what I see right now is something that is working, to be replaced with something that doesn't work (out of the box) at all.

Like # people like this
Michael Heikka
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2023

If you're having challenges with your Trello to Jira Automations, please feel free to contact our Support team.   

Note that Trello to Jira Automations have been available since April, 2020.  Details in our blog post  here

Lukas Lau May 29, 2023

Please keep Jira power-up available as it is really convenient and the best way so far to create jira issues and to see their statuses right from the trello card or from the whole board.

Like # people like this
Andrea Frola May 29, 2023

Please consider keeping the power-up avilable

Like # people like this
Christof Wollenhaupt May 30, 2023

At least you are showing some consistency in replacing working features with something that isn't working as well. We've had the same situation in the past with JIRA, Confluence and BitBucket.

Like # people like this
Dirceu Albrecht May 31, 2023

I agree with the most of peoples here! that's make no sense!
This tool is just perfect for all users of trello and Jira resources.
They should reconsider this decision, it seem this don't work fine for the most dos usuarios.

Like # people like this
Steve Grossman May 31, 2023

Apologies but this is not an acceptable replacement for the current Jira add-on. Here are current features we rely on with the Jira power-up:

• Display of Jira case/status on the card cover in Board View
  • Link in Jira ticket back to the associated Trello card (haven't tested the workaround yet)
  • Seeing the Jira ticket assignee in the Trello card

We depend on these features for our current workflows and your replacement does not fulfill any of these needs. It is imperative that you do not disable the current Jira power-up until you address these gaps in coverage.

Further, the "Full Screen View" of the Jira ticket from the Trello card does not work in the Trello app, only on the web. 

Like # people like this

As an update, it does not appear possible to two-way link Jira tickets to Trello cards unless you create the Jira ticket via Trello, which we do not do and cannot do per our workflow. Otherwise, given the Jira actions in automation, there is no apparent way to pull the Jira ticket key from Trello info (or even make a custom "Ticket" field for populating) in order to post a comment to that ticket.

Like # people like this
Michael Heikka
Atlassian Team
May 31, 2023

Trello supports Jira and Confluence Smart Cards.  To use them, create a new card from a pasted Jira or Confluence link and the newly created Smart Card will display additional details about those linked items.  See below for board view: 

Smart Card Examples.png

Trello's Description and Activity sections also support Smartlinks, which displays rich metadata for pasted links.   Example below: 

Smartlinks in Description Example.png

In this case, the Jira issue shown in the description shows the assignee, status, last update date and enables a Full screen view. 

See our New Editor in Trello post for details on Smartlinks. 

Smart Cards - Appreciated but inadequate. Our workflow depends on automated creation of Trello cards when Jira tickets are made (since our users have access to Jira but not the private Trello board). Once the card pops up on our boards, a simple Jira power-up attachment gives us two-way linking and all the info we need on the card. Also, since we use the Trello card as normal Trello cards, with other power-ups and record keeping, Smart Cards are in no way an adequate replacement.

Smart Links - This feature does not work as you describe. The link in the description field only shows the ticket name and status. You have to hover over the link to get the full view, and there is no toolbar that shows up to change it. Perhaps the Smart Links feature will eventually work, but as of now it doesn't, which means you still need to postpone removal of the Power-ups until your proposed feature replacements are actually feature replacements.

I appreciate you taking the time to come into the forums and defend decisions you didn't make, but it would save a bunch of people a bunch of time and aggravation to simply say, "We apologize, our use case analysis was clearly lacking regarding this change, we will postpone and determine how best to move forward." (I would be happy to assist with this if you solicit customer use cases.)

Like # people like this
Ari Shinozaki June 1, 2023

This is not a good idea.  Keep the powerup for at least a Year before sunsetting, not a month after making this type of announcement.  Get feature parity also.  

Like # people like this
Shelly Freeman June 2, 2023

Hi Atlassian team, I have a question I don't see already asked. What happens to the Jira issues and Confluences pages already linked using the Power Up? Are those going to stay on the cards or will they disappear? 

Like # people like this
EnEm June 3, 2023

I agree with all of the above about not removing these tightly integrated PowerUps.

We end up with a strange situation where the vendor's own integrations are not as good, not as convenient and not as complete as Jira/Confluence integrations with third-party Trello competitors. Quite weird and if I understand it correctly we are already in the place where the PowerUps can't be added to new Trello boards (from 15 May - not tested this).

Like # people like this
theletterd June 6, 2023

This is a terrible idea -- part of the reason I was able to sell Trello to my jira-focused organization was this powerup.

Like # people like this
Ricardo de la Vega June 6, 2023

Many of us rely on these power-ups *in order to automate* workflows. A lot of users have been told you, guys, that replacing these tools with your new features of Smartlinks is not working, even if are good or not as a new group of features per se.

Consider the feedback, and by this I mean that you should attend carefully what we say. It's not a good change in many ways, and benefits have not been precisely demonstrated.

Thanks.

Like # people like this
EnEm June 6, 2023

Agree with thelettred above. Users do not welcome convoluted multi-step integrations. The smartlinks feels more like a workaround (or a kludge).

I am now actively looking at alternatives to Trello that are better integrated with Jira. 

Like # people like this
Jan van Luijn June 7, 2023

Another issue, adding multiple Jira tickets to one Trello card, will only show as attachments, while in the old situation, it would show the number of Jira tickets attached, plus a colour on the overall status : SCR-20230607-itug.png

While in the new version, 

SCR-20230607-iuxs.png

I am sorry, but I'm getting very frustrated with this decision...

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events