Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

New Editor in Trello

We’re excited to introduce a new editing toolbar inside of Trello, to provide richer and more intuitive formatting options for card and board descriptions. This new editor gives you more control of how your content looks and allows you to preview it before saving. And if you use other Atlassian products, it should feel very familiar!

Note: The new editing toolbar is being rolled out slowly; this may not be your experience quite yet! To opt in sooner, visit https://trello.com/my/labs and toggle on ‘WYSIWYG Editing.'

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.42.33 PM.png

With the new editing toolbar in Trello you can easily:

• Select varying header font sizes

• Format your text with bold, italics, strikethrough, and code snippets

• Create bulleted or numbered lists

• Mention your teammates to collaborate

• Insert links

• Make your descriptions pop with emoji :tada: :raised_hands:

• And more!

You can quickly insert all these options via keyboard by typing '/' and selecting from the list.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.46.12 PM (1).png

If you loved using Markdown to format your descriptions, fear not—you still can! The new Editor in Trello introduces a friendlier UI for more intuitive formatting, but the same Markdown you’re used to using in Trello is still supported.

More ways to display your content

We know that Trello is the hub for where your team’s work gets done. The new editing experience provides even more options for visually displaying work from all your team’s tools. Paste any link into the card description and choose how you want to display it—whether that’s simply a URL, the default Smartlink inline view, or as a card view, which offers a small preview of the content as well as additional information about the link.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.39.15 AM (2).png

To toggle between all these display options, click on the link while in Edit mode, and select from the dropdown list. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 2.45.39 PM.png

Tips and Tricks

• Shortcuts: Press “Command + /" to open a list of helpful keyboard shortcuts. Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.46.40 PM (1).png
  • Spacing options: Hitting ‘Enter’ in the new Editor creates a new paragraph, so there’s some extra spacing. If you’re just looking for a line break, hold ‘Shift’ before pressing ‘Enter.’

• Ways to paste into Trello: If you are looking to paste text into Trello to match the current format in your card description, right-click and select Paste and Match Style. If you want to preserve the original formatting from where you pulled the text, right-click and select Paste.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.13.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.14.37 PM.png

Remember, this may not be your editing experience quite yet, as we’re rolling it out gradually. If you want the experience sooner, you can opt in by going to https://trello.com/my/labs and toggling on ‘WYSIWYG Editing.'

Note: The new editor for Trello is currently only available on the Web and Desktop, not mobile.

20 comments

Hannah Morgan Community Leader May 25, 2022

@Jenny So exciting! However, I tried turning on the feature flag but I can't see anything when going to https://trello.com/my/labs 🤔

labs trello.PNG

Jenny Atlassian Team May 26, 2022

Oops @Hannah Morgan this is totally my mistake for including this, it's not quiiiiite ready on Labs but will be in a couple weeks! I'll remove the mention of Labs in this post and update it when it's ready, thanks for catching that and stay tuned ;) 

Like Hannah Morgan likes this
Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 04, 2022

I see this is ready now!! Excited to play around with it!

Like # people like this

Thank you Trello and Atlassian for listening to your users!

Like Jenny likes this
Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 13, 2022

I created a short video demo-ing how this works and how you can enable it, if anyone is curious! https://youtu.be/041SZPVP_Ww

Like # people like this

Thank you so much for your YouTube video @Brittany Joiner!!

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 16, 2022

@Evelyn Vaughn totally welcome! i've had a lot of people engage on it, so might make a follow up one! Seems a lot of people didn't know about trello labs!

Like Evelyn Vaughn likes this

Hello, there some way to deactivate this new editor, is interfering with the API

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 23, 2022

@Manuel Rivas you should be able to go this ur: https://trello.com/britt_joiner/labs (use your username instead of mine 😊) and then you can toggle it off!

Like Daymi Martínez likes this
pbaggett I'm New Here Jun 24, 2022

Please please please never drop support for disabling this, I much prefer the markdown style of editing. This happened to Confluence a long time ago and I still hate it. Please do not forsake your power users again!

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 24, 2022

@pbaggett you still have access to using markdown, even with the new editor enabled! Same markdown shortcuts/format still work!

pbaggett I'm New Here Jun 24, 2022

@Brittany Joiner As a software engineer, I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG editors in general. There are just too many quirks resulting from non-visible elements to make it a consistently good experience. So long as I can keep the feature disabled I'll be happy. :)

How can I turn this off? It's time consuming, not accurate with line spaces and I can't tell which headlines are used. ALso linking text is not working anymore: [linktext](url)

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 25, 2022

@Benjamin Wingerter go to https://trello.com/britt_joiner/labs (with your username, not mine haha) and then you can disable it. 

image.png

Like Benjamin Wingerter likes this

Thank you very much @Brittany Joiner ! It works for the website. :) In the Windows App I can't find the labs setting. Any idea for that? 

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 26, 2022

@Benjamin Wingerter no idea, sorry. Don't use any of the Trello desktop apps

Can't find setting for labs on my free plan - is this a paid feature?

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 27, 2022

@Sune Rievers no i don't believe so. if you go to trello.com and are logged in, then type /your_username/labs at the end of the URL, what comes up? (like this)

Kapture 2022-06-27 at 09.52.58.gif

Like Sune Rievers likes this

Hi @Benjamin Wingerter,

Linking text should definitely still be working. You can use the Editor UI or type in the Markdown syntax and it should convert to a link. However, editing the link afterwards requires using the Editor UI.

Screen Recording 2022-06-28 at 9.28.19 AM.gif

That said, if you tried that syntax and it didn't work, you might be running into an edge case bug that we haven't encountered in our testing. I'd be happy to look into it further. If you'll open a support ticket at https://trello.com/contact and include more detail on what you're seeing, we'll get it fixed up.

Thanks.

Brittany Joiner Community Leader Jun 28, 2022

Also love that there is so much feedback in here, and I don't work for Trello, but I'm quite sure they're watching this (I see some Atlassian Team people responding!) but would also probably be helpful to add these comments that "Leave feedback" icon you see below the editor!

image.png

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,339 views 28 40
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you