My e-portfolio: using Trello to keep track of skills and experiences

The days are flying by so fast, I can’t seem to slow things down no matter how hard I try. My memory is great; however, I can’t seem to remember vivid details or even highlights from each year of my career. One of my current Trello boards is my e-portfolio—I use it to keep track of all my accomplishments, courses and certifications, presentations, notes of appreciation, skills, and experiences, as well as a section for future training needs. It has been so helpful, I refer to it often and add to it weekly.

To create and/or update your own portfolio, here is a list of information I used to get started:

• Letters of reference
  • Resume
  • Lists of accomplishments
  • Samples of work
  • Courses and Certifications
  • Evidence of specific skills (e.g. writing, public speaking, leadership, event management)

I wrote an article previously called “Taking Stock a Collection of Your Transferable Skills” with more details.

I started with a paper portfolio, but over the years converted to digital, and then to Trello. It is so much easier now to organize and find things, a quick filter search instead of in the past having to sort through all the papers to find what I was looking for. With Trello I now have everything at my fingertips.

portfolio.png

What tips or practices do you use to keep track of your own work experiences, skills and accomplishments?

20 comments

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2019

What a great idea!

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2019

That career portfolio article is great -- bookmarked :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2019

Thanks so much @Kat Warner :)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2019

Thanks @Iain Dooley I am glad you liked it :)

La'akea Yoshida April 1, 2019

This is an incredible idea... I can see this being a professional practice in the years to come. Might even include this in as a link on my professional profiles. Thank you for sharing this simple yet effective idea!

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Lavinia Ciossu April 4, 2019

That is an amazing idea. I can definitelyy say I will start such an e-portofolio for myself. I used the Trello boards to track my own progress in earning new certifications the last couple of weeks. 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2019

Thanks @Lavinia Ciossu for your kind words. I am glad to hear you are considering starting one for yourself!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2019

Thanks @La'akea Yoshida I am glad you found it useful. I agree, it will be a professional practice in years go to come for sure.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

@Jodi LeBlanc Such a great use case — thanks for sharing, Jodi!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

Thanks @Erica Moss , my next one is on Language maintenance :)

Like Erica Moss likes this
Fernando April 17, 2019

Me parece una idea genial!!!

Jamás se me hubiese ocurrido ese uso para Trello :-)

Danny Flynn April 22, 2019

I love this idea!  I struggle with this when it comes to maintaining project hour logs for certifications.  I am always like, "What did I work on again?" :) That could be my age creeping up on me too. :)  Thanks for a great article! 

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2019

Thanks so much @Danny Flynn - I am glad you found this helpful :) Looking forward to hearing how you things go with organizing and keeping track of your project hour logs for certifications.  

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2019

Hi @pratik93 thanks for your comments. I use the Portfolio board for my own master list, however I have colleagues that use Trello as their virtual resume, they just change the settings to public and share the url. Check out this Trello inspiration board as an example:

https://trello.com/b/ccZkevHm/resume-cv-board

Thanks,

Jodi

Oscar Arcila June 29, 2019

Looks gteat. I an going to use it

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2019

Thanks @Oscar Arcila - that's great to hear!

Tracey Smith July 11, 2019

Fabulous idea and easily sharable with supervisors or potential employers if you are looking for a new position.  In education it's essential for teachers to keep a portfolio if they want to advance in their career.  I currently have mine in Microsoft OneNote but see some advantages to using Trello as well.  Will be launching portfolios with my students in the coming year and Trello might be an easy option for them to start out with.   

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2019

Thanks @Tracey Smith that is great to hear! I look forward to hearing how your students like Trello for their portfolios if you end up using it as a tool. Wishing you all the best with it!

Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2019

This is a great idea and I can see it being useful in building out a resume. I started a board a little like this related to job searching, but this is a whole other level of useful. Thank you!

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 6, 2019

Thanks for your positive comment @Michelle Rau good - as for resume building check out my recent post for more info: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Using-Trello-for-Job-Search/ba-p/1190238

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events