Introducing Card Colors and Full Covers on Trello!

New and noteworthy in Trello: Card colors and full covers are here!

team_members_trello_board.png

Card attachments can now be displayed on the front as full-sized covers, and you also have the ability to change the color of a card.

Full Card Covers

In addition to being able to upload your own images as card covers, you can now select a card cover from the vast pool that is the Unsplash Gallery (just like when you’re picking the perfect board background!). 

Once you attach an image to a card, you are now able to select different sizing options for the front cover display. Click on the button named “Cover” on the card back, and then choose whether you want the attachment to display above the card name (how it worked previously), or as the full height of the card:

card_cover_menu_small.png

Card Colors

One of Trello’s longest requested features is here: the ability to change the color of entire cards!

In the same “Cover” button as above, you also have the option to select from color swatches. The sizing is the same as images–the colors can either appear above the card name, or as the full height of the card:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 2.34.34 PM.png

You can display Card Colors as a card header (left), or change the entire color of the card (right). 

FAQ

Are these features available on mobile? Currently these features are read-only on mobile and tablets, so you are able to view card colors you created on the web. 

card_covers_mobile_small.png

Where are these features located? On a card back, click the “Cover” button to reveal the entire menu of selections. 

Are card colors available in colorblind mode? Yes! Card colors display the same functionality as labels in colorblind mode. 

Tell Us How You’re Using Card Colors and Covers!

Card covers and colors don’t just make your boards more beautiful and visual, they also can help you stay organized. Check out the Trello blog post for more examples of how to put this in action.

We would love to hear from the community about ways to plan to use these new features. Share below in the comments. 

15 comments

Bear Humphreys
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

Is this a gradual roll-out? I'm seeing the covers button but only a menu for cover picture selection, not colours as yet.

Edit: OK, disregard that, logged out and back in again and there it all is. Thank you and playing now :)

Like # people like this
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2020

@Lauren Moon *screams*

b066506ecf4e478a77385408c023a7fa_w200

Like # people like this
Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2020

I really love the option of Card colours - we started with Trello and I always used one label colour (in my case blue) for the description for each list at the beginning. That "costs" me a good label color is never as good as a full colour card! Already love it 😍 - I'm already working it in my new boards. I find it useful to make a visual difference between instruction and a real card! 👍 Didn't know I would need it, now that it's here, I will never give it away....

Also got plans for the full image covers 👨👩‍🦰🧒🏿👩🏽‍🦲👱🏼‍♀️🧑 -> for each team we will use it to introduce the team members 😚 
That's great cause we have so many locations around the world and some people don't even know each other. Hope this will work out great. Plans for using it for onboarding are also on my mind 😊

All together - awesome great new features! 👌👏

Like # people like this
JUDY
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2020

This is awesome! I've been dreaming of colors and here they are! Great job, team!!!

Like # people like this
Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2020

Thank you so much for these updates! I've just tried using a card cover for one of my boards, and it looks lovely! I gotta admit, it's been a while since features like these were available for everyone on Trello, and not just for those with a subscription.

I'm curious why card colors were a long requested feature, and how everyone is using them at the moment. Would love to know your use case and why card colors rock for you. 🙂

Like Erica Moss likes this
Charese Gainor June 4, 2020

Are there limitations on when the Cover Button shows up? I see this option on all of my boards except the one used most, where it could really elevate the board.  Is this considered a power up? Are there issues with labels and covers working simultaneously? Help!

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

@Charese Gainor Hi Charese! I just read your comment. Is this still an issue for you? Card covers are a new feature in Trello, so they should appear for every board and every card with a photo attached to it.

If it still isn't available, would you be able to take a screenshot of a card in that particular board where the button isn't showing? You can create a new post and attach it there, so I and other members of the community can help out. 🙂

Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 12, 2020

This is such a wonderful update, thank you!

Tomer Barkan June 18, 2020

Hello, I've really been looking forward for the card colors feature, thanks for implementing it.

It helps so much with organization. Unfortunately, it's not usable enough yet. I wrote a post with some feedback if you'd like to read it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/Feedback-on-the-great-but-unpolished-feature-of-card-colors/td-p/1410240

macdoo July 19, 2020

This feature worked on some cards, but haven't seen the option on recent 'back of card'

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 3.52.35 PM.png

Elizabeth October 31, 2020

I love this, but is there a way to add our own colors, and more than 10 choices?

Like Kasey Brewer likes this
Kerry Chumbley January 28, 2021

when using custom fields and selecting "show field on front of card" is there a way to use the full colour cover AND have the custom field show on the card front?

Thanks

Like # people like this
olena March 20, 2021

Hi! this is a great feature, but is there any way for the card to be fully colored, but the same size it is when it doesn't have a background color? my one-line cards are now all twice as tall if I apply full color.

Thanks!Capture4.JPG

Keruchan September 20, 2021

Suggestion to have saved cover photo that are account board based. 

Meaning it is saved to a board that 'you' can access 'only to that board.'. You can access other members cover that they created. 

Josh Fortner May 16, 2023

still would love to see the option to have all "front of card" fields (including customs) on top of the full cover

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events