Celebrate Your Badges!

I have recently become a Community Leader (woohoo), and amongst the information that was sent to me, was a link to the Atlassian Authors Awards article, published on 17 January 2020. So I set about reading all the linked articles that were contained within it, to see what tips and tricks I could find in how I write and present my articles.

@Andy - PTC Redundant has the most conversations sparked in 2019 and there was a link to his article entitled 'Welcome to your first article/discussion! Fun Man Andy’s Guide to writing on the Community' Which has loads of hints and tricks for writing your first article and is utterly amazing BTW!

On this article, he shares a picture of a Mood board, which has a picture of a badge that he’s working towards, and I thought it was an utterly brilliant idea! So I headed off to Trello, and sought out a board that I could do the same thing on! 

At the moment, I’ve only published one article, so the rest of my ‘Trello Community’ board was pretty empty, so I thought that I would create a list per type of Badge that you can get. I did this by going to my profile on Trello and seeing what the headings were for the different types of badges.

There are 8 different types of badges:

1. Role badges
  2. Levels
  3. Community Badges
  4. Accepted Answers
  5. Likes Received
  6. Topics Created
  7. Articles Written
  8. Monthly Challenges

This is what they look like as lists:

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 09.00.06.png

Then I discovered that if I hovered my mouse over the badge on my profile, a little bar would come up underneath it to show when I achieved it. Not only that but when I did a screenshot on my Mac, the little achievement bar would stay there. I was in heaven!

So I quickly took screenshots of all the badges that I’d earned, including the date I earned them, and put them in the appropriate list! As well as changing the board background to something suitably inspiring!

Screenshot 2020-01-21 at 09.05.17.png

At the moment, this will be my second article, so I still have a list called 20-01 Articles, where I put articles that I’ve written in January, along with another couple of lists for articles that I’d like to write in the future, but at the moment everything is on one board, badges & articles and plans.

If you already have a lot of articles published, you probably already have a Trello Board for those (probably more than one!) but consider having a Badges Board as well, you’ve earned them!

20 comments

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Thank you @Ollie Guan for being my 50th like and giving me another badge to put on my board!

You Rock!!

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

My pleasure ^_^

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

Awesome post @Esme Crutchley ! I love gamification and look forward to the new badges when they area announced. The badges are fun to work towards, through engagement in the community.

Also, you should tag your articles with atlassian-authors so that they are easily searchable :)

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Thanks @Jodi LeBlanc!

I like celebrating the little things! I didn't realise I had so many (not as many as you though!), but I thought it would be great to have them on a board so that I could see them all the time. I've also enabled the calendar PowerUp on this board and added (and completed) all the due dates to the dates when I got them, so that I can see in a calendar view, which is a nice touch as well!

I didn't think about tagging them with atlassian-authors so I've done that on this one, and I'll go back to the other one and add it to that as well! Thanks for the tip!  

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2020

@Esme Crutchley 
This is SUCH an awesome combination of Community Gamification and Trello. I totally adore it!! 💙👏

Glad to see my article helped inspire others. Totally awesome!

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Thanks @Andy - PTC Redundant that means a lot! 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

This is why I'm here!  To see some take a product and find a unique and awesome way to transform it and then share that amazing story with others.

I am truly still a padawan when it comes to using Trello, but there are so many great masters here!

Fantastic work @Esme Crutchley!

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Thank you @Jimmy Seddon!

I think you should make a Badges board, it would look utterly amazing, as I've said before, massive thanks to @Andy - PTC Redundant for the inspiration!

Go on, you know you want to! Have a 'look what I did' board, they're awesome!

I can honestly say, there isn't much that I've tried to do within Trello that it can't do. But I'm still new to using it in the grand scheme of things. I've just passed 12 months use and I've not passed a year using Business Class yet, so I'm still a padawan too!

I'm in the process of writing more articles, but there's so much that I want to share it's difficult to know where to start! 

Like # people like this
Celina Zamora January 21, 2020

Amazing post @Esme Crutchley -- thanks for writing this up and sharing! 

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

Thank you @Celina Zamora 

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2020

This is my board tracking TechTime blog posts and Atlassian Community articles.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.53.09 AM.png

I hope @Jodi LeBlanc is inspired to create a badges board for herself and shares it as a template. :)

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2020

That board is gorgeous @Kat Warner, thank you for sharing it!

And I agree, @Jodi LeBlanc needs one too! 

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2020

Nice @Kat Warner - super organized board you have there! As for a badge board template, I really love the trophy case on our profile pages, that's the one I use to keep track of my progress :)

Like # people like this
Michael Demetria January 23, 2020

@Esme Crutchley leveling up and getting more badges is just another award to be part of this Atlassian community.  Awesome article.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

Thank you @Michael Demetria 

I love being part of the Community and I'm working on several articles at the moment to give back to the Community (as well as 2 series that I'm in the process of drafting), so I'm definitely #allaboutthecommunity!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Tim Keyes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

My Favorite badge is "Friend of Taco" and I am really close to the Awesome Author badge! I mainly write articles about the Jira Align and Jira Integration but plan to write a couple more articles in the Agile section over time.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 28, 2020

I agree @Tim Keyes the 'Friend of Taco' badge is amazing and I'm working towards the Awesome Author Badge too! I only write about Trello, as that's my home base and I live in it! I might expand into other products in the future as I get more confident with them, but Trello is my bag!

Like Shawn Kessler likes this
Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2020

This is such a great idea! I should start tracking my accomplishments more this year. Thank you so much for sharing.

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2020

You're welcome @Alice!

I think sometimes with the hustle and bustle of the day/week/month/year, we can lose sight of things that we accomplish, no matter how big or small.

If it's important to you, whether it's dealing with depression and getting dressed in the morning, or the Atlassian Awesome Authors badge, if it's important if you personally see it as an accomplishment no matter what it is, write it down!

Because I live in Trello and love to help the community, it's a natural step to create 'Go Me' boards to keep track of everything that I accomplish!

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

My goal is to get the Awesome Author badge by next week. Only 2 more articles to go...

Like Tim Keyes likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events