Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provisioning new Trello users via Atlassian Access?

Stephen.Wingert March 17, 2022

My organization moved to Atlassian Access and we manage our Jira, Confluence, Service Management, and Trello users in our account.  Our IDP is integrated with Access for user provisioning and SSO.   I've run into many scenarios as an Administrator provisioning Trello users including new Trello users, Trello users with free managed accounts, Trello users that are board guests, and an occasional deactivated user.

Once the user is setup in Access via our IDP, I go through the following steps:

• I checked for the user's account in the "Free managed users" list.  If I find them there, I grant them a license.
  • If I find them in the "Board guests" list, I grant them a license.
  • If I find them in the "Deactivated accounts" list, I grant them a license.
  • If I do not find them in any of the three lists, I invite them to our organization's default Trello team.

Is this the recommended approach?  Anything I can do to streamline this process?

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Victor Dronov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2022

Good question, @Stephen.Wingert .

You nailed it. Here are the few other things to keep in mind:

• If you provision a user in your IDP, this will not make them appear in "Free managed accounts" automatically. We only show there users who ever logged in to Trello (and you probably don't want to grant a license for anyone who didn't and may not need Trello yet)
  • When you grant Enterprise license seat to users per the process you described above - this does not automatically bring workspaces they are currently a part of into Enterprise. This means that when users continue their work in these workspace, they neither experience upgraded features nor are a subject of your security policies.

With the intent to provide an Enterprise license seat to all active users (which I assume from your message) - the better approach could be to first add Non-Enterprise workspaces to Enterprise, and approve any Pending workspaces (where users have requested to be added to Enterprise). This will automatically grant licenses to all members in these workspaces. If after doing this you still have some Free managed accounts, Board guest etc. - then you can repeat the steps from your original message.

To further simplify this process we are working on more bulk actions for all of the above. You can follow our progress on Trello public roadmap (see "Bulk actions for Trello Enterprise admins").

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events