Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my team started

Andrew Cramsie February 28, 2018

Atlassian, you must be kidding. I have a team of 20-30 project managers, product managers and developers with varying skill with Jira and less with Confluence. We are looking at getting rid of these tools as they are not being used. Half the people are nervous to use them and the training material is useless. There are thousands of videos, uploaded with no apparent intent other than flooding YouTube with content.

How can I get myself and my team up to speed without spending $$$$ on Atlassian University?? Am I the only one that has had this problem?

3 answers

Suggest an answer

6 votes
Gary Barg
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2018

Gary from Atlassian University here. Totally agree with Danyal's strategy of using a leveraged approach to training. Get a few power users up to speed with the products and have them coach the rest. University has both formal classes and in-product (for Cloud currently, available through the Marketplace) self-paced training. 

2 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2018

Hi,

Another goo practice is the "train the trainer" thing. If you don't want to spend too much, you might work with a Partner on getting some initial support + training material and courses for a limited audience. Once ready, those trained people can help others, we are using that mechanism here at National Bank of Canada: we're a team of 6 admins for 10000 users, we clearly can't teach everything to everyone. Instead, we built a "SuperUsers" program to reward our most relevant members and train them deeper, they can spread the word afterward and help on day-to-day support!

As mentioned by Danyal, you definitely need to get some Atlassian-skilled resources to start the whole thing!

Hope you can step into that and like the products as much as we do!

1 vote
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2018
without spending $$$$

It might make more sense to get rid of your unskilled  project managers, product managers,developers and whatever other honorable title-holders and hire some skilled people. Of course, that is not possible without spending $ as well.

I would hire atleast 1 decent  Application/platform manager  for your atlassian landscape? and let him coach the others.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events