Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips & Lessons for 2022: Teamwork in problem definition is the backbone to your wishbone

Melissa Castán January 17, 2022

Advice

Einstein said once: “I Would Spend 55 Minutes Defining the Problem and then Five Minutes Solving It”. 

When your team try to see results, taking time to define the real problem or main goal of a project together is important and part of the hard work even if it’s not visible work and this inspire a sense of purpose to everybody involved.

Relevance for today

Visualisation of goals is important when it comes to creating new projects, being able to explore, envision the final outcome together, integrate the ideas without losing the objectivity and purpose of the project is key to optimise resources and hit the nail when executing. Hard work starts spending time defining the problem so the solution comes easily!

5 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2022

@Melissa Castán first of all welcome! 

Second, thank you for sharing. We often focus too much on the goal, when the journey is just as, if not more, important. Great Einstein quote!

Like # people like this
Melissa Castán January 17, 2022

Thank you Andy!

Like Vero Rivas likes this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2022

I think a lot of people today are on autopilot, just trying to survive. Though, I suppose this was also true pre-pandemic. Regardless, going autopilot makes it easy to not think about outcomes as much as outputs. It makes us less intentional.

So I'm with you. Measure twice, cut once!

Like Melissa Castán likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2022

Hi @Melissa Castán 

Many times we focus too much on the "problem" and forget that we have to focus better on the solution

Human beings often give a lot of thought to what is happening, we invest a lot of time in the situation rather than in seeing the solution to continue forward, hence the importance of knowing how to break that situation, that block and look forward

Cheers

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Interesting! I was usually experiencing the exact opposite. Focusing too much on solutions before understanding the problems properly in depth. 🤓

Melissa Castán January 18, 2022

Yes!  I see it like focusing on what we want instead of what we don't want, the solution pulls us forward :)

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

Absolutely agree @Melissa Castán
Many times misalignment and not understanding the goals and why makes initial team excitement and motivation drop.

Taking time to sit down with the team and let them also define and shape the goals is one of the essentials in a healthy work environmnet.

Belto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2022

Great tip Melissa

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events