Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Werewolves of Miller Hollow: Discover how well your team members can lie.

Hey all,
It's been a couple of months since my last post about games and how playing games can help you build a better team. Feel free to read my previous posts here: about Dixit, Pandemic, and Escape Games.
Today I want to talk about a group favorite: Werewolves of Miller Hollow.

The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, Zygomatic, 2022 — front cover, English edition (image provided by the publisher)
This is a game for at least 7 players + 1 moderator.
So better suited for bigger teams or for a company retreat/event where multiple teams come together.

The game takes place in a small village which is haunted by werewolves. Each player is secretly assigned a role - Werewolf, Ordinary Townsfolk, or special character such as The Sheriff, The Hunter, the Witch, the Little Girl, The Fortune Teller and so on...

All the cards (L-R,Top to Bottom): Thief, Townsfolk, Werewolf, Sheriff, Fortune Teller, Cupido, Hunter, Little Girl, Witch
The Moderator player controls the flow of the game (you need someone who has played the game before to properly play this role, if the game is new to everyone the moderator should take some time to prepare for their role).

The game alternates between night and day phases. At night, the Werewolves secretly choose a Villager to kill. During the day, the Villager who was killed is revealed and is out of the game. The remaining players (villagers, special characters, and werewolves) then deliberate and vote on a player they suspect is a Werewolf, helped (or hindered) by the clues the special characters add to the general deliberation. The chosen player is "lynched", reveals his/her role and is out of the game.
The aim of the game for the Werewolves is to remain alive, the aim for the villagers is to find and "lynch" all werewolves.

This game is an ideal discussion and social interaction game as during each "day" phase the group as a whole need to discuss who to "lynch" at the end of the day. These interactions can give you valuable insights into the structure of the team, who speaks up more or speaks up less, if discussions are open and respectful, or not. All of these insights can then be used to help improve the health, structure, and performance of your team.

And honestly: it's just a fun game to play after a long day of meetings or conference sessions (Team '24 anyone?).

Have you played this before? Let me know what you think of it!

12 comments

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2024

Sounds complicated, but I'm sure it all becomes clear once you play for a while. I might give people the link you provided to the game description ahead of time, so they could have an idea before we sat down to play.

Like Peter Van de Voorde likes this
Dániel Ballabás - EverIT
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2024

Count me in for a game session/night at Team24!

I haven't tried this one yet, but I played many other social deduction games. My current favorites are Tempel des Schreckens (it doesn't need a Moderator or a Night phase), Secret Hitler (I like the "always two players on the line" mechanic over the way The Resistance: Avalon games make it sometimes about group decisions), and Hollywood 1947 (mainly for the theme, and the different player abilities).

I agree on your points about the game's ability to check the "personas" of your group. Do you have experiences using them during onboarding (when there is a difference in the level of how well players know each other and each other's reactions)?

Like # people like this
Hind Kadiri From Jaanga
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 7, 2024

Hey @Peter Van de Voorde , I absolutely love Werewolves of Miller Hollow! It brings back some good memories, especially the times I was the werewolf, and no one suspected a thing! Such a fantastic game for team building. Thanks for sharing this gem of an idea with the community!

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

This is such a great series! Thank you for sharing, @Peter Van de Voorde - suggesting this to my team for our upcoming retreat.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

@Peter Van de Voorde I missed your posts. I never in my life thought I would have a resource for learning about new games, but you have become my mentor! 

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2024

Werewolf is an excellent game!

I've even seen this game packaged with a companion mobile app that helps if no one feels particularly confident playing as a GM.

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2024

Never played but it sounds interesting!

Like Peter Van de Voorde likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2024

I'm always struggling whether Werewolf is a good game to play in a work environment - you're always suspicious if someone else tells the truth or not 😏

But as you say, it's interesting to see how people react, basically to inspect the team dynamics in a different/playful environment.

I prefer the One Night Ultimate Werewolf variant (possibly with expansions). Why? This game is super fast (~10 minutes) and no players get eliminated, so you don't have to wait until everyone else dies.
But there's still lots of fun involved. If you want to, there's also an app which can act as a moderator - so the moderator can also play along.

I'm happy to bring this to Team '24 and look forward to find some time playing it together.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2024

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ - thank you! I was trying to remember who made the Werewolf game with the companion app, and that's the company! 🙌

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2024

Excellent post @Peter Van de Voorde!  I don't think I have ever played "Werewolf" but I have played many of the other games that follow the same type of rules.

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2024

It's a great little game.  It was in our rotation for a long time pre-covid.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Vronik March 25, 2024

I admit I don't know the game, but it seems very interesting.

thanks for sharing

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events