Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Roads, Open Roles: How Jira Consultant Rachel Wright celebrates a remote work lifestyle

This month, we’re celebrating the AtlassiVan and all things Team Anywhere and Ways of Working by featuring @Rachel Wright, a Jira Consultant, Community Leader, and world traveler! We hope you’re inspired by her experience on the road and her top learnings on a lifestyle embracing remote work.

RachelSocial.001.jpeg

Hi, I’m Rachel Wright, certified Jira administrator and author of the Jira Strategy Admin Workbook. In 2015, I took my Atlassian skills on the road. I left the corporate world to travel the United States in an RV while helping organizations choose, configure, maintain, and migrate their software.

How Jira opened new doors

My Atlassian journey started in 2011 and I’ve been in a relationship with Jira since.

jira.jpg

As a web developer, I was immediately impressed with how flexible and customizable the software was. At the 2013 user conference, I marched right up to the Community desk, hoping to join the local user group in my area. When I learned there wasn’t one, I volunteered to start it.

Before college, I started a web development company to help clients automate business tasks, communicate with customers, and close sales online. I was fully invested in the web development industry and was sure I’d do it my entire life. But then I fell in love with Jira, started a consulting company, and my life will never be the same!

table.jpg

Preparation for the road and biggest lessons

We did five months of research before working on the road. And of course, we tracked our preparation tasks in Jira and recorded our destination details in Confluence.

A lesson I’ve learned from 8 years on the road is to slow down. Early in our travels, we moved locations every week. It was amazing to visit so many places, but we never really got to know an area in depth and were always stressed about the next location. These days, we only move between our 3-4 favorite locations each year.

Craziest story on the road

We had three tire blowouts on the very first trip! The tires looked fine, and had low mileage, but they were sun damaged. 22 Hours and $1900 later, we finally made it to our first camp destination.

tire.jpg

I’ve eaten all the interesting food and my partner Chris has caught all the interesting fish! Between my consulting business and travel lifestyle, I enjoy total personal and career freedom.

hammock.jpg

Tips for those considering a remote role

For digital nomads like us, reliable internet is the biggest challenge. We have multiple redundant networks and devices so we can have a dedicated connection. Our strategy works most of the time. 😉

desk.jpg

Rachel’s 'Team Anywhere' Short List

💙 Favorite Atlassian value?

Be the change you seek - I'm fiercely independent, self directed, and constantly improving things I don't like.

🚢 Favorite place you’ve worked?

On a cruise ship. While camping in Galveston, Texas, I flew to Barcelona for the Atlassian user conference, and then boarded a cruise ship to Italy. It was a trip within a trip within a trip! 

🇮🇸 Dream place to visit that you haven’t yet

Iceland. In 2016, the date of the user conference changed to the same week I was scheduled to visit. Obviously I canceled my trip but I haven’t been able to reschedule it yet.

📆 A routine or ritual you’ve created on the road that you love

My initial plan was 'No Work Fridays', but it ended up becoming more of a 'No Meeting Friday' instead. Most weeks, however, I'm thankful to use the time to catch up on whatever I'm working on!

Thanks, Rachel! Connect with Rachel Wright on LinkedIn, learn more about the Jira Strategy Admin Workbook, or ask Rachel your top questions on remote work in the comments. Learn more about the AtlassiVan for open roles!

12 comments

Jonathan V. November 1, 2022

Wow, this is truly an inspiring article, makes me wanna become a consultant, pick-up and head out. Congrats Rachel on being able to live your dream.

Like Rachel Wright likes this
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2022

This reminds me of the time I remodelled my house and lived in a trailer for nine months. I wasn't "on the go" but it was quite all right to live there so I could definitely make few trips and keep working without taking extra holiday time to do it.

Like # people like this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2022

Thanks for sharing such exciting journey, Congratulations

Deepak Rai
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2022

Thanks for sharing this Amazing Journey!!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 18, 2022

To be honest, I'm no road tripper, but I loved reading your journey so far. That first screenshot is epic!

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 3, 2022

Thanks for sharing. 

Houssein Barkallah December 8, 2022

I'm thinking about starting my journey, and this post really did help, Thank you ♥

Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

Man I'm totally jealous. I'd love to just pack everything into a camper and head out, maybe some day.

Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2022

Great post.. Thanks for sharing Rachel.
Delhi would love to host you on an ACE trip if your camper ever decides to do APAC. :)

Tommy Augustine February 2, 2023

I love the flexibility you have. My Office recently called everyone back in, and they've built an entirely new building with upgrades that benefit in-office work. 

Omar Mohamed Fathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2023

wow

Juan Carlos Vera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2023

Cool History ;)

thanks for sharing

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events