automatically move issue from the backlog to the board when the status changes away from "todo"

Rik Vanmechelen July 12, 2019

When a dev pics up an issue from the backlog he sometimes forgets to drag it to the board.

He just changes the status to something that is different from "todo" (on my board it's "In progress"

I would have expected that those issues would automatically move to the board since this now became an active issue that the dev is working on.

Additionally, they tend to forget to assign it to themselves. Is there a way that whoever changes the status away from "todo" to also be the person that gets the issued assigned?

7 answers

23 votes
Arthur Saveliev October 21, 2019

I'm using a next-gen project and i the same issue. When an issue changes status from TODO to INPROGRESS in backlog i'd like to move it out of backlog.

The only way to do it now is to drag and drop or select MOVE TO, again manually.

Would love to see an automation for this action

7 votes
Victor Grazi October 7, 2019

I have the same issue - my workflow is configured to automatically transition issues from backlog to in progress whenever the parent epic makes the same transition. Unfortunately this does not move things out of backlog, and it behaves rather unpredictably. 

The way I cured it was to display the backlog column on the Kanban board, and not in the backlog section.

However if I keep the backlog status in the backlog section, the post function transition does not fire.

I tried creating a separate "Triage" board with just backlog and in progress. But that still does not work. It seems that as long as there is one board that uses the backlog area, your post functions won't transition things out of backlog.

I would really prefer to keep backlogs in the backlog section, but that would break the workflow. Is that a feature or a bug?

6 votes
Paul Jackson January 20, 2020

+1 on this. This seems backwards to me. Why would "In Progress" never not be on the board. If it gets deprioritized, I would expect it to go back to To Do or Backlog.  

Right now we're missing in progress tasks because they are mistakenly lost in the backlog!

3 votes
Martina Schmidt July 23, 2020

I'm having the same issue with next gen projects. Thanks for the link to the issue, that helps. Left my vote. Sad to see it's a low priority, I think it is more acute now with automation for next gen projects without scrum. 

3 votes
Alex F April 10, 2020

Hi, you should read this topic and leave your vote for this issue: JSWCLOUD-17471. This can help resolve the issue.

Rik Vanmechelen April 10, 2020

Hi Alex, 

Thank you for pointing to those these links. I think your automation request would solve this as well.

I agree that it's so annoying which is why I created this request, and am just using a kanban board without a backlog for now.

Like # people like this
ddumond April 17, 2020

Voted. Seems like a silly oversight by the JIRA NG devs

Like # people like this
2 votes
Julian Mullins October 21, 2020

Upvoted the related issues as well.

I'm trying to write automation that will automatically move issues from the backlog onto the board by transitioning their status. Unfortunately not something that is possible now (I don't want to use JIRA roadmaps as this is not relevant to the project board I've built).

Will this be resolved once the next-gen workflow feature is rolled out? Any insights and support here would be appreciated, as this is blocking some key functionality I'm trying to support.

Isaac M January 5, 2021

You can do this with Webhooks in Jira automation

Rik Vanmechelen January 5, 2021

@Isaac M We're talking specifically about next-gen projects in the Atlassian hosted solution. I don't see where you can set up webhooks for next-gen projects yet. As far as i know, it's something that has to be developed still.

1 vote
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2019

Dear @Rik Vanmechelen ,

the action "move to board" depends on how you mapped the statuses of your issues to the board columns. If the origin status is mapped to a different column than the target status, then the issue will (visually) move.

The second question: Yes you can do. Therefore you have to alter the issues workflow. Within the post functions of a transition you can auto assign issues to the users who triggered the transition.

So long

Thomas

Rik Vanmechelen July 15, 2019

Hi @Thomas Deiler 

Thank you for your response.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by
"how you mapped the statuses of your issues to the board columns"

Where can i find this?

Thanks,

Rik

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2019

Dear @Rik Vanmechelen 

this is a good entry point: Configuring a board.

So long

Thomas

Rik Vanmechelen August 14, 2019

Hi @Thomas Deiler I'm using a next-gen project. I don't seem to find any documentation on setting this specific feature up for a next-gen project board/backlog.

Is this something that is just not available yet?

Like # people like this
Lasse Rørbæk Nielsen January 29, 2021

I'm pretty sure this in no way applies to the Next Gen projects.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer