How do I designate an issue type as the epic issue type?

Macey Geis February 6, 2020

I see read these instructions on issue setup documention (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/set-up-issue-types-in-next-gen-projects-949233753.html):

No epic issue type: If your project doesn't have an epic issue type, the Roadmap won't display. Note that the issue type must be a high-level issue type, so a regular issue type that happens to be called "Epic" still won't work. To fix this, you can navigate to the Roadmap to either create a new epic issue type, or select an existing issue type and designate it as the epic issue type.

But I do not see where I can designate another issue type as the epic issue type. How can I make a different issue type show up on this board? 

2 answers

2 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2020

Hi @Macey Geis

You can "sort of" do this. You can change the name of the Epic issue type when you have a Next-Gen project. To do this you'll need to be a Project Admin and then...

1. Click Project Settings > Issue Types
  2. Select the Epic issue type from the left-hand panel
  3. Hover over the name and click to edit - then change the name and press "Save Changes"

^ If you've deleted the Epic issue type previously, you'll need to re-add it:

1. Click Project Settings > Issue Types
  2. Ensure there is not a custom standard or sub-task issue type called "Epic" - you'll need to change its name or remove the issue type
  3. Press "Add issue type" and select the Epic and create it

I would suggest avoiding using the "Epic" name at other issue type levels, see this note in the page you linked to:

Agile teams use epics to track larger sections of work composed of smaller tasks, bugs and user stories. Jira uses the suggested epic issue type to power other features in next-gen projects, like roadmaps and reports. To use these features, you must use the suggested Epic issue type (and avoid creating your own custom issue type called "Epic").

Ste

Suggest an answer