Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How can I convert a task into a subtask?

Is it possible to convert a task to a subtask (child issue) under another task/story? I have a list of tasks, but want to group them into tasks and stories instead. I cannot find a way to do this. Is it possible without completely rewriting the tasks?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted

Hello @Atle Haugan

You can use the Move function accessible in the top right corner of the issue screen. You will need to select a Parent issue to connect your Sub-task to during this conversion process.

Hope this helps,

Danny

Thank you for your answer. Can I also move several tasks in one go? Like select multiple issues and move them all to the same parent? The move operation involves many clicks and moving several tasks is a bit cumbersome.

Like Danny likes this

Hi @Atle Haugan

Yes, you can. It is a bulk move operation. Follow the advice in a similar answer here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-can-I-bulk-move-issues-in-Jira-Cloud-with-next-gen-projects/qaq-p/1177926 

Hope this helps,

Danny

Thank you. The link was not properly formatted, but I found the article anyway. As I understand, the feature enables me to bulk move the complete result of a issue search, i.e. I have to create a search filter/query that matches the list of issues I want to move. Or can I pick them one by one?

Once you get a filter that is close you can then check box some issues or select all issues to have the bulk action applied. 

Like Atle Haugan likes this

I am very happy that this is possible.

But are you serious? If I made the unforgivable mistake of wanting to switch a task to have a parent task, I need to use a migration tool to make it into a child?!

I hope we're clear that this is ridiculous.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Team-managed projects

Find issues faster in your team-managed board and backlog

Hi Jira Community! I’m Mark, a product manager working on Jira Software. Today, I’m happy to announce that we’re launching custom filters for team-managed projects. If you’ve used the quick filters...

3,888 views 22 21
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you