Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Plays of the month: Cut your meeting time for a healthier work-life balance

Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 21, 2021

How has your meeting schedule been lately? Chances are, your calendar has been exploding with them. You may have heard by now that our Confluence team is on a mission to help you go meet-less. 

meet-less.png

Well, the Team Playbook Team has a few Plays to help get you there. Here’s what we recommend:

• Roles & Responsibilities: How many times have you attended a meeting you didn’t need to be a part of? Running this Play will clarify your team members' individual responsibilities and help shine some light on who really needs to attend which types meetings, and when.

• Goals, Signals, and Measures: Set project goals so your team knows where you're headed, define signals so you know you're on the right path, and determine what measures you'll use to know when you've reached your destination. Starting everyone off on the right foot will help those “Quick Sync” meetings become a thing of the past.

• "Get $#!t Done" Day: This one’s simple—create dedicated space in your schedule for deep work. Productivity and morale suffer when you're constantly being interrupted. Keep your team afloat by taking a day off from meetings, emails, and calls.

We know what you’re thinking… yes, most Plays ARE meetings, but, running one of them means having fewer unnecessary meetings later on.

Which Plays in your arsenal help your team cut down on meetings?

3 comments

Jack Community Leader May 24, 2021

After many years managing teams and fraught with a lot of meetings I have learned to make them more effective and often do away with them entirely. I look for ways to consolidate meetings if the agenda and contacts are so similar which would drive the same audience.

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 24, 2021

Wow! Sounds like you're a meet-less pro, @Jack ! wink

I've realized that the so-called "meetingoza" can be stopped by simply asking questions:

• Why do we need to organize the meeting? 
  • What we would like to get from this meeting (ideally establishing the meeting outcome).

Quite often we're in a habit of making meetings, yet more and more of them, without actually reflecting whether this is needed or not.

Also it's up from the culture of the organization. It's weird not to have a calendar fully booked right? :) so there's this tendency to put and more and more.

On the contrary, it becomes very important for well-being, healthy balance, and productivity to actually learn to say NO and be diligent in assessing which meetings I should go to or not.

I love the play about Get sh... done :) for the healthy balance and the one about goals and signals - how we will recognize that we've achieved what we wanted/needed from the meeting.

Plus something I've observed often is that meeting participants talk in different language they try to resolve the problem, but the problem was not clarified in a way that consolidates people around exactly, one and only and the same, single problem.

Like Kristen Roth likes this
Kristen Roth Atlassian Team May 26, 2021

Such great points here, @Eva Kasiak. Do you carve out time for regularly-occurring GSD days?  

Mohammed Amine Community Leader May 31, 2021

clients are triggering meetings for everything. in my case it is difficult to avoir them since proposing alternatives are not appreciated !! 

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you