Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Say what now? (Multilingual speaker hunt)

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2019

Your challenge

1. Find someone who has a different native language than you do
  2. Fulfill at least one of the following:
    1. Take a picture with them (and you) and post it here
    2. Get them to teach you their native word for "Community" and post it

Bonuses

• Show them how to find their nearest Atlassian User Group using the interactive AUG map at augmap.net or at aug.atlassian.com
  • If they are on Atlassian Community already, @mention them in your reply

14 answers

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2019

There are very few Chinese users in the Atlassian community. I regret that I have no plans to attend this summit and I can't take photos with my community partners, but I can tell you how the community uses Chinese to express it.

“社区”

捕获.JPG

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2019

@Ollie Guan : we can be non-attending-Summit-buddies....!
Shall I whip together some Photoshop with our photos and the words community in Dutch & Chinese!?!? :D

Like Ollie Guan likes this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2019

That's a good idea

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2019

Which AUG do you attend?? (If any?)

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2019

I hope to participate in Shanghai, China, but it has not yet been established.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

Well, as the Leader / Founder of the newly instated AUG Rotterdam, I can only advise you to start it up yourself if you are motivated enough.

I've been doing it for 3 months now and it is soooo much fun and all the other AUG Leaders and Community Managers help out big time, so you're never alone!!

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2019

Thank you for your suggestion, I believe Shanghai's AUG will come soon!

2 votes
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2019

Andy and I had a great week at virtual summit and both earned all19 badges and were on the top of the leaderboard (until we got bumped by alphabetical order peeps)

Here's our selfie and I learned "gemeenschap" :)

IMG_7909.jpg

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

It was AWESOME ! ! 

🥇😎
This perfect Usie infront of the Atlassian Amsterdam office really demonstrates just how awesome! 
Excellent pic @Jodi LeBlanc !

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

So glad we could reunite at Atlassian Amsterdam for a twofie/usie! :)

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

....thanks to your teleporter!!!! ;o)

Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

We can both use it next year for summit! I just saw the dates on another thread: March 31-April 2 2020 in Vegas 😊

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2019

Great idea ! ! 😎👍

2 votes
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

It was awesome meeting @Fadoua and this is how you say Community in Arabic.

تجمع‎

IMG_20190409_154924.jpg

2 votes
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

Here is @Ollie Guan and myself performing a flawless completion of this challenge (with just the minor issue of us not actually being at Summit. LOLz) 
Hopefully one day, we'll do it for real and at a Summit!

(By the way... the online AUG map really is awesome!)

Selfie.jpg

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2019

Wow, this is my first photo with community partner!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2019

Mine too ! ! It is awesome :oD Have a great day @Ollie Guan 

1 vote
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

@Thomas SchlegelHow do we say Community in German?

Thomas.jpg

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

@Fadoua  - Community is “Gemeinschaft” in German

Like Fadoua likes this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel- Community is تجمع‎  in Arabic

Like Thomas Schlegel likes this
1 vote
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2019

I prepared ahead of time to be asked this question and I even invited people to the techTime booth to learn the Maori (New Zealand) word for community - but also this preparation was not needed.

So with all great information, I'll share it here in the Atlassian Community online.

The word 'community' in te reo Maori is "hapori" (noun) section of a kinship group, family, society, community.

People are an important part of the Maori culture as indicated by this often (in New Zealand) used phrase:

"He aha te mea nui o te ao. He tāngata, he tāngata, he tāngata"

"What is the most important thing in the world? It is people, it is people, it is people."

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2019

It was awesome getting the opportunity to meet @Simina Tamasan20190411_094116.jpg

Simina Tamasan April 17, 2019

It really was! The Romanian word for community is comunitate :)) pretty similar

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
1 vote
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2019

Got to spend a few minutes getting to know Michael Kimathi - woohoo!

IMG_7924.JPG

1 vote
Marty
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

I met Eric from Quebec who taught me to say "communauté"

IMG_4375.JPG

1 vote
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2019

@Kapil Samadhiya @Mike Sandberg @Kunihiro Takahashi_Confluence Samurai_ 

photo5292072180747709344.jpg

@TanyaC  Thanks for the photo :) Feel free to upload our small video with word "Community" 3 languages  

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 9, 2019

Met Navin Sridhar in training session!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 9, 2019

@Brant Schroeder did you take a picture or learn to say community? ;) 

1 vote
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

Love this challenge Daniel!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2019

@_Trello_Leader__Jodi_LeBlanc : Any fancy PEI way of saying "Community"? 

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2019

Hmm the only thing I can think of that would epitomize community in PEI is: A cèilidh (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [ˈkʲʰeːlɪ]) or céilí (Irish pronunciation: [ˈceːlʲiː]) is a traditional Scottish or Irish social gathering. In its most basic form, it simply means a social visit. In contemporary usage, it usually involves dancing and playing Gaelic folk music, either at a house party or a larger concert at a social hall or other community gathering place.

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

That'll do ! :oD 

I'll go with the Irish to appease my ancestors on my Nanny's side of the family ;o)

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
0 votes
Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 26, 2019

yourphoto.jpg

Here is @Fadoua and I being fabulous. Apparently Fadoua is popular and everyone takes selfies with her. 

@Monique vdB - boom - number 2. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2019

@Meg Holbrook  تجمع

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2019

Haha, as a non-english-native-speaker, it is quite easy to meet an English native speaker there.

But I'm sure, that would not conform to the rules above...

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 31, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel  We can take a photo each other :) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events