Summit takeaways from faraway

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 11, 2018

Do you yearn to earn the September badge but didn't get a chance to attend Summit this year?

Worry not! Comment below with your favorite takeaways-from-far-away. Scour Twitter, watch recordings, talk to a friend...anything counts!

:) 

18 comments

Comment

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

I just really need everyone to know that I'm still not over @Jack Brickey Photoshopping me into the doughnut wall.

Doughnut wall - Erica.jpg

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2018

😂 😂 @Erica Moss!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2018
What? You weren‘t there? ;-)
Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel I wasn't, but I was certainly feeling the love!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

I took one of the white ones ;) .. it was sooooo goood! :)

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

...and you appear again here my Columbus AUG follow up post.  While I have my own pics of the doughnut wall, they are vastly inferior to this one of @Jack Brickey's.

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

I actually know of a company in Chicago that has a glass wall with everyone's portraits on it.  It is both cool and odd to stare at :)

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2018

Well it was definitely hard for me to stop myself from thinking about all the fun people I know were having in Barcelona.

I tried to keep in touch via Stride with @[deleted] and @miikhy asking them about the event.

I was also delighted to learn from @Billy Poggi AUG NOVA_ DC that my name was brought twice during the Champions & AUG Leaders day. I know that for our next NOVA AUG our leaders will be sharing lot of information that we missed. The one news that I am very excited about and already have some meetings with Atlassian Team about is Jira Ops and OpsGenie

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2018

My favorite takeaways-from-far-away is Jira 8 with faster boards and project archiving, and Code Insights in Bitbucket will come in handy now that we finally are making static code analysis a part of our pull requests.

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

As I know project archiving is already in JIRA 7.10 but faster experience (on Board for example) is making a huge difference. Overall when using 7.11 (and above) is a lot faster (not sure which version was presented on keynote and compared to 8.0 to show 9s vs 3s loading the same board)

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

I think the two biggest takeaways that I am looking forward to are the new Confluence search, and the ability to edit more than just Microsoft Office attachment types in Confluence. I previewed the new search with the Chrome extension that was released and it was super nice. It was fast and I think it will help users find what they are looking for.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

My faraway takeaway was that bitbucket and confluence improvements including customer portal customizations are on the way to server. Plus, Trello User Groups are kicking off around the globe.

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2018

My faraway take-aways were:

1. I _really_ need to be at Summit next spring! - I miss the sessions and keynotes
  2. JiraOps is going to be an awesome product and make life much easier for me as I don't have to keep buiding these by hand any more.
  3. I _really_ need to be at Summit next spring! - I miss all my AUG and Community friends!!!!
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

@LarryBrock  you really really do need to be there!  @Kevin Stanley will be there and we super miss your company!

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

:awwthanks: @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ - I really missed everyone this year and so tried to live vicariously through the pics, videos, etc.  ;-(

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

Vegas is going to be AMAZING...  Can we hold meetups at blackjack tables?  Is that a thing?  ;)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 18, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Ham I volunteer as tribute!  Just remember, always split aces and eights, and always hit soft 17....

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

@Monique vdB, sometimes though, you have to play as part of the team against the dealer.   That means, if you're sitting at end of the table and there's a chance you can cause the dealer to bust, you take the card for the table -  oh, heck- I just made blackjack a team sport ;)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 18, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Ham this is why I never sit at third base. I want to play my optimal hand, and I could just as easily take a dealer's low card as their bust card.  You can have third base 😉

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

@Monique vdB I'll sacrifice, but you're buying the drinks :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 18, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Ham it's a deal! (Pun intended.) :D

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2018

Definitely has to be the new JIRA OPS / OPS GENIE.... say WHAT now!? :oO

What an interesting future Atlassian has!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

I have mixed feeling... Of course it is only for Cloud and if you do not buy also OpsGenie, Statuspage or ServiceDesk or use Slack for you JIRA Ops right now would a normal JIRA Cloud project where you can add comments and proceed through the workflow...

I am waiting for pricing and licensing to have complete picture of this new offering.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

One of the main things I have taken away from far away is the JIRA OPS announcement. Seems fantastic and there is now a buzz in my company about it! 

Another few things were mentioned in the State of Data Center that got me really excited to make our switch to Data Center very soon.

The new Confluence editor and JIRA Roadmaps are also some very exciting features.

And my final takeaway is I love going to summits and need to convince my company that going overseas for those summits are just as worth it as the state side ones!

Frederik Kunze September 12, 2018

The announcement of JIRA OPS clearly was one of the biggest highlights also my YouTube playlist is filled with so much great talks.

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2018

I came by the booth and got my community shirt so got to represent on the flight home!

I've found my experience at Summits have changed over the 5 years I've been attending as the number of talks I've been to has dropped off (with a plan of watching recordings after, but often not doing so) but spending the time with vendors/product managers/Atlassian management etc face to face while the opportunity was there. 

Very excited about Jira 8 and it's (long overdue) update to Lucence in the hope it boosts performance. While new product announcements are great, the push on performance and stability is very much appreciated too, and as mentioned during one of the keynotes (paraphrasing) - it doesn't matter how many great feature improvements we make if it doesn't perform well, or at all.

Summit 2019 already blocked out in the calendar! 

CCM

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 12, 2018

@Craig Castle-Mead sorry I didn't get to meet you at the booth but hopefully will see you in Vegas!

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2018

This may or may not count for the September badge, since it really isn't my favorite takeaway, but...

One of the presentations I used to try to "sell" the Summit when I was seeking approval from management was the "Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail" presentation on OKRs. I thought it would be incredibly helpful with goal setting. Unfortunately the quality of the recording seems to be quite poor; I cannot get my volume loud enough to be able to hear it at more than a whisper (and consequently I jump out of my seat every time I get an IM or an email.)

I'll give it a try at home, I have much better speakers there.

Deleted user September 12, 2018

hmmm strange - The sound of the video is alright for me. Maybe the volume setting in YouTube isn't set to full maximum?

In addition to that you should read this book here https://www.amazon.com/Measure-What-Matters-Google-Foundation/dp/0525536221

...or watch the Google OKR video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJB83EZtAjc When we started with OKRs at Atlassian we all watched this presentation. 

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2018

Thanks Sven, I tried from home last night and it was fine. I'm sure the issue was a PEBKAC error (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.)

I'll check out both of those resources, thank you!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 12, 2018

Here's a great post from @Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ about some of her Summit takeaways from far away!

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2018

Thanks for the shout out @Monique vdB!  I plan to make more posts about Summit thoughts and adventures in the coming days/weeks too!

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2018

One of my takeaways from the sessions that I attended is the way of dealing with large data. New data scientist team really doing a good job in analyzing input. Session was called

Transforming Customer Support With Artificial Intelligence

.. and it was a example of using Python libraries (and other tools) to read and transform words into graphical maps to for example identify gaps in documentation, suggest KB articles that might help or assign to the specific team or person.

I would really want to see similar approach to analyze people feedback. There might be logic behind that really show what people want to have in Atlassian products. Current voting on JAC is not enough to track everything and respond.

It could be also used here on community to for example suggest KB articles when creating a post or notify people that might know the answer ;)

Possibilities are endless, but please do not replace support engineers or us here with automation :) 

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2018

Hey @Mirek

That sounds super interesting, I think this may be the link to the recording of that talk.

Inside Atlassian: Transforming Customer Support With Artificial Intelligence

P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2018

My key take-aways are batched emails in Jira as well as customizable email notifications for end-users.

Another take-away is that more and more features are exclusively available for data center installations even though they would be beneficial for server installations. Two of them are Archiving projects in Jira and read-only mode in Confluence.

Unfortunately, I did not have the time yet to watch all sessions.

P_D_ Foerster
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2018

Do I get the September badge now? :)

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

Key take away....  don't miss summit.. ever...  It's like all your best friends had the best party ever and your excuse was, but I have work tomorrow.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 18, 2018

@Gregory Van Den Ham this is accurate, yes. :) 

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2018

sigh... this is exactly how I feel right now.  #NeverMissSummit #NeedingADoseOfAtlassian #SpreadTheLove

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2018

My takeaways are:

1. Never miss Summit!
  2. It must have been a great party - already looking forward to next usergroup to here all the "good" stories
  3. I'm not alone -> there are more people who missed - see in this discussion and here
  4. Definitly never miss Summit!
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2018

My favorite takeaways are;

• Faster Jira experience and customizable batch notifications
  • New look to customer portal and improvements
  • Better Confluence search
  • Jira Ops definitely

I really don't wanna miss the next one :'(

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2018

Didn't go to the summit but did go to the Atlas Camp.

My takeaways:

• Atlassian is highly investing in Cloud
  • Atlassian is highly investing in IT Service Management practices (nice done!)
  • Atlassian is going the right way (graphQL, containers...)
  • Finally there will be a real product integration as one
  • Jira 8 will finally catch up with its infrastructure
  • Tacos are awesome
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2018

Tacos are indeed awesome.  It's what's for lunch today.

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2018

Best reply ever

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events