Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statuspage Web Request Returns HTTP status 500 Response

Eric R Hartway July 8, 2021

Hello, I'm using the Statuspage api to create incidents in Statuspage using a Jira workflow.  On certain Jira transitions, Jira automation sends the web request to statuspage.  When testing outside of Jira (using powershell), there are no issues.  When using the workflow/automation, the very first time it runs, I get an "HTTP status 500" error response.  The next time I run it, using the same issue request or new one, the automation succeeds, and any subsequent web requests succeed.  Can anyone help me in understanding why the first call fails?  It seems to be time dependent.  After the first failure, all works as expected right after.  But, if I walk away and try again 30 minutes later, the first web request fails again, and any subsequent attempts work fine.  See attached print screens for the error and the "create incident" web request.

500 Error to Statuspage.pngCreate incident web request.png

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Eric R Hartway July 21, 2021

Circling back after this issue has been resolved.  The problem had to do with our configuration of the load balancer with our Jira dev environment, which only runs on one node.  The issue does not persist in prod.

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Chris DeGidio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2021

That is great to hear Eric! Thanks for letting the community know :) 

1 vote
Chris DeGidio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2021

Hi Eric,

That issue is quite interesting! I did look and found a similar issue being reported in this community post

It looks like this user resolved it by changing the format of the JSON, but that does not seem to be the case here.

I would recommend setting up a webhook to also post the payload out to a site like https://webhook.site/ this will allow you to see if the non-statuspage endpoint received the payload and without issues. This will also help verify the payloads between the send-offs are the same. 

I hope this helps get you in the right direction. Additionally, if this comes down to an issue with Automation for Jira we will need to get that reported to the appropriate team. 

Opening up a ticket to the Statuspage support product at support.atlassian.com will assist us in collecting all needed information for this. 

Thanks so much 

Eric R Hartway July 13, 2021

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the recommendations.  Using webhook.site I verified the payload was sent/received using Jira Automation each time without issue, while Statuspage is still returning a 500 error on the first POST, then succeeding on subsequent POSTs.  I tested again with powershell as well, and all POSTs succeeded with no issues.  It seems the issue may be with Jira Automation.  I've opened a ticket via support.atlassian.com (SPSP-21223).

-Eric

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events