Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status page components change status before we acknowledge the PagerDuty incident

Ash Smridhi December 13, 2022

Hello,

We have integrated the PagerDuty App using this webhook:

We want to only create an incident for any of our components once we acknowledge the PagerDuty incident. This part is working well.

However the status of the component changes automatically as soon as PagerDuty service is triggered. 

Is there any way to not let the status of the component change before we acknowledge the incident? 

1 answer

0 votes
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2022

Hello Ash,

I'm Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Thanks for reaching out in the community! Within the PagerDuty app section of Statsupage, if you do not select any components to be changed and only start an incident, you can use your template to define what components are affected in the incident and leave them as operational in the template. This way, you wont set any components to a degraded state but still have the incident go off when you acknowledge the alert.

Hopefully that helps make some sense of it but if you have any questions, definitely feel free to reach out.

Regards,
Jesse

Ash Smridhi December 15, 2022

Hi Jesse,
Thank you for the quick response. This is very helpful. I do have a question though.

We still would like to change the status of the component when the incident is created. If I remove the component rule from the PagerDuty app section then, when the incident is created the component remains at "operational" status.

We want the status to change to degraded/major outage/partial outage after the incident is created. Right now it does the status change before PD alert is acknowledged and the incident is created. 

Is there a way to change the component status after the incident is created?

Abraham Musalem
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2022

Hey Ash, 

You can tweak when the status is changed by tweaking the rules of the integration. An example of that can be seen here in step 7a: 
- https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/set-up-a-pagerduty-integration/

Hope this help! 

Abraham 
Statuspage Support 

Ash Smridhi December 19, 2022

Hi Abraham,

Thank you for your response.

That is the exact rule I had to remove in order to stop PD from changing the status of the component before the incident is acknowledged. So if I bring it back then my initial issue will continue to happen.

To be clear our initial PagerDuty rules on a service was set like this:

Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 5.18.37 pm.png

However it results in the component changing the status to Partial Outage before we have acknowledged the PD notification and an incident is created.

I thought the initial suggestion was to remove this `Component rules` section. We saw that upon removing this section the component was no longer changing status before PD notification acknowledgement. 

This created a new question, how would we change the status automatically post notification acknowledgement. 

Please let me know if there is anyway to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Ash

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events