Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a component that is an aggregate of existing 3rd party components ?

Pierre Martignon November 3, 2021

Hi,

We try to represent the status of say AWS and want to leverage any updates of their service.

As we use possibly 3 services and have many regions we want to make the status page more readable and only represent AWS-Region-XYZ as a component .

This component would be an aggregation of the 3 services  AWS-Service_A-RegionXYZ, AWS-Service_B-RegionXYZ and AWS-Service_C-RegionXYZ.

I went through the API but failed to see a way to specify such component is there a simple way to achieve this ?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2021

Hello Pierre,

This is Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Thanks for the question and welcome to the community.

There is not a way to combine the components in the way that you describe. The closest thing you could do to help increase readability it to create a component group and then add the three components to that group. Then, when someone looks at your Statuspage, there will be a group component that they can click and it will show the three components individually.

Besides that, I am unsure if there would be a better way. You might be able to create a component and then take the third party components, aggregate them yourself, and then set that to the component you created but that sounds more complicated.

Here is the article regarding component groups that might help you out: https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/create-a-component-group/

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great day!

Regards,
Jesse

Pierre Martignon November 5, 2021

Thanks Jesse, I had figured out there wasn't a simple way.

Do you have any hints on your comment ?

"You might be able to create a component and then take the third party components, aggregate them yourself, and then set that to the component you created but that sounds more complicated."

I looked closely at the API and I don't see a way to do that, but I hope this is possible.

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2021

Hi Pierre,

My intent from that comment was that you could take the data of the components and then write something custom. Looking further into our API, it does seem to be limited in updating the data of the component itself so thinking further on this, it might actually be more complicated than my original expectation.

In that case, I think the component groups might be the best option available. My apologies that I don't really have another solution that would work out for this.

Regards,
Jesse

Pierre Martignon November 5, 2021

Hi Jesse,

In such case maybe you could turn this into a feature request so that your product management team could review and consider for the roadmap.
I am pretty sure there is a demand to simply federate existing components.
Some possible workaround would have been to allow multiple levels of component groups so I could do something that works for me

Example

- My service - status

- cloud provider service - status

|___ AWS-Region-A

|_____ AWS- Region-A-Service_1

|_____ AWS- Region-A-Service_2

Could this be done ? IF not maybe this is a simpler feature request to consider and implement ?

Regards

Pierre

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2021

Hello Pierre,

I have added this community post to our open feature request that we have around aggregating components and I added some information to it talking about your use case.

When it comes to the nesting of groups, the team did have a request but product decided that it made more sense to have things separated out by pages instead of having multiple nestings of component groups.

Thanks again for the request and recommendation on this!!!

Regards,
Jesse

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events