cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incident while Maintenance

Siegfried Mueller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 28, 2021

We see a copmonent in state "Major Outage" while maintenance is ongoing. Maintenance was scheduled correctly with the right component. But while the component was under maintence our monitoring triggered the "Major Outage" incident. I thought that "maintance schedule" is above any incoming maintenace. Ist there a describtion how the system is reacting between Maintenance and incoming incident?

1 answer

0 votes
Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

Hi Siegfried,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If the monitoring triggered an alert and it changed the components status to 'major outage' then this would prioritize as you are directly changing the status of the component. The way to avoid this would be to add some logic into the monitoring that checks if the component is in under maintenance status, if it is, then don't change the status.

Thanks,
Nick

Siegfried Mueller
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 4, 2021

Hi Nick,

thank you for the explanation.

I was expecting this kind of logic inside the statuspage logic. That would make most sense to me. "Maintenance" should block every incident or it least it should be something to set while schedule a maintenance. I could imagine this as a feature for most admins since they don't want to logic the monitoring.

Thank you,

Siegfried

Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2021

Hi Siegfried,

I guess we all have different business requirements :) I would expect this to be logic on the monitoring side (and it's something we at Broadcom build in on the monitoring side) and we always classify an incident above a maintenance. We suppress alerts on monitoring during maintenance too.

However, I absolutely agree that giving admins an option to ensure the maintenance status of a component is observed. Perhaps this could be an override checkbox. 

I'm trying to work with the Statuspage team on how we could better capture feature requests so at the moment the only way to suggest this would be raising a technical ticket with the team: https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Thanks,
Nick

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events