Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to group multiple third-party components into a single component

Lucas Amaral Lopes March 16, 2023

We depend on several AWS components in several AWS regions, so it's not ideal for us to display all of our dependent AWS components in our status page since it would be such a huge list.

Furthermore, we don't want our competitors to have knowledge of which AWS components we use and which AWS regions we support.

Ideally we would like to be able to group several AWS components into a 5 grouped related components, but not display which components are in that group and also have them grouped into our existing components group for third-party dependencies.

3 answers

0 votes
Mona Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2023

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for elaborating on the use case here. As I understand, you would like to create a Component that will display the overall uptime roll-up & status for a group of similar components, without letting the users know what the individual components are.

Here, the components could be separate shards or instances of a service, or even discrete service providers, but you want the end users to know about the overall experience based on the Status of the custom component created with the Group.

Just to let you know, this functionality is not feasible at the moment as per the current design. You can create a Component group and add multiple components but the status of each component will be displayed separately within the Group.

However, there is another Feature Request raised for a similar use case to our Product Team and it is been reviewed for Future Consideration.
Here's the Feature Request ticket id for your reference: STATUS-60

Also, as you rightly pointed out, "only_show_if_degraded" is only available via the API and you wouldn't be able to find this option in the Statuspage UI. Meanwhile, you can try it out as a workaround for your Statuspage.

Hope it answers your query :) 

Thanks & Regards,
Mona

Lucas Amaral Lopes March 22, 2023

Thank you @Mona Singh. Yes, that is how I needed it to work, so I'm guessing I'll have to create a component and some automation to automatically change the status according to the status from the AWS components I am interested in if I want that behavior.

I am wondering how do you get the status from the AWS services to update the third-party components? Do you use their API or is it something internal from your part?

Mona Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2023

Hi Lucas,

Sure, you can try creating a script at your end where you can create a component and update the Status of the created component based on the Status of the third-party component. 

For getting the status of the third-party component, you can leverage our Get a Component API Endpoint from which you can obtain the status of the component and update the created component accordingly.

https://share.getcloudapp.com/2Nub0md8

For more details, please refer to the API doc:
https://developer.statuspage.io/#operation/getPagesPageIdComponentsComponentId

Hope it answers your query :) 

Thanks & Regards,
Mona

0 votes
Mona Singh
Atlassian Team
March 21, 2023

0 votes
Mona Singh
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2023

Hi Lucas,

This is Mona here, happy to help :)

As I understand, you would like to be able to group various AWS components into 5 Component Groups, but do not want to display which components are in that group. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

For Grouping Components in Statuspage, I would recommend you to refer to the below doc:
https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/create-a-component-group/

Please note that as per the current design, there’s no direct way of hiding the components on Statuspage but we do have a Feature Request raised to our Product team to bring in this functionality, and here’s the Feature Request ticket id for your reference: STATUS-112

However, as a workaround, if you would like you can set “only_show_if_degraded” to “true” for a component following the below-mentioned API doc:
https://developer.statuspage.io/#operation/postPagesPageIdComponents

This feature allows you to hide components from the page while Operational, and only show if in a non-operational state (Degraded State).

The other suggested workaround would be to do the logical groupings of who needs to see what components. Let’s say there are specific groups that only need to view certain components or other groups that need other components, and a set of common components, then using Audience Specific Page is probably a better way to go. Similarly, if you would like to use SSO or IP range whitelisting then you can also consider Private Pages.

Hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face: In case you have any further queries, please feel free to write back and we’ll take it from there :)

Thanks,
Mona

Lucas Amaral Lopes March 20, 2023

Hi @Mona Singh, thank you for your reply.

What I was actually thinking was in having a component where it's status would depend on the status of several components, i.e. if any of the AWS components in the North American regions like us-east-1, us-west-2, ca-central-1, etc would have a degraded performance, this component would be in a degraded performance and if all are operational it would be operational, similar to how the group shows regarding the status of the components in the group, so a group would possibly work, but I would prefer it to be a component because I don't want to display the status of the individual components it is monitoring and I would like to be able to add it to a group.

I could create a custom component that would monitor the AWS components I need and update it's status, but I'm wondering if it's possible to do it directly in Atlassian Status Page.

I did find it interesting the "only_show_if_degraded" option at least for a temporary workaround. I'll discuss with my team to check if we could go for this solution at least temporarily. I didn't find that option on the edit component screen. Is it only available through the API?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events