Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automate Component status with Pager duty based on alert severity resp incident priority?

martin August 3, 2018

We are using Pager duty for incident management which is integrated with Status page. To avoid noisy alerts/incidents we would like to send only high urgency incidents into Status page.

Do you have any idea how could we setup status of components in automated way?

e.g.

1. alert from Pager Duty with severity "Critical" would set component to "Major outage" . Alert from PD "error" will set component into "partial outage" ... 

2. In PD we can set priorities of incidents (P1,P2....) . Is it possible to adjust integration between PD and Status page in a way that Status page will accept only incidents with assigned prioirtites (without priorities would  be omitted) 

Thx 

Martin 

1 answer

0 votes
Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2018

Hi Martin,

Have you seen the Statuspage.io Integration with PagerDuty: https://www.pagerduty.com/docs/guides/statuspage-io-integration-guide/

I think this is what you're trying to achieve:

• Ability to degrade one or more components when a PagerDuty incident is triggered

Hope the above helps.

Thanks,

Nick

martin August 3, 2018

Hi I know this material and right now all incidents are triggered from PD and updated . But there is still open question how to filter out from PD  for Status page only high urgency incidents or how to change status of components automated way 

Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2018

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I thought the rules in Statuspage were more advanced than they currently are. 

The other option, and I don't know if PagerDuty can do this, is to get PD to email a "DOWN" command to the component email address, as outlined here:

https://help.statuspage.io/knowledge_base/topics/getting-started-with-email-automation

If you set up your rules in PD to say when P1/2 incidents triggered -> email the component with subject of "DOWN". But I don't know how flexible PD is with customising the email content.

martin August 3, 2018

Hi Thx i will consider also this option. 

Last question. Do you have integration between Prometheus and Status page in place? 

thx

Martin 

Nick Coates
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2018

Unfortunately no, we don't integrate any of our monitoring tools (at the moment) with Statuspage.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events