Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to authenticate webhooks?

The webhook documentation and API documentation do not mention how to authenticate a webhook sent to the configured URL. Is there a supported way to do this?

Typically I'd expect a signature to verify or a header with an API key but I don't see either in the requests.

I could hard code an API key into a query param on the configured URL but that seems less than ideal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 answer

1 vote
Caroline R Atlassian Team Aug 09, 2021

Hi, @ben_walford! Welcome to the community! 

If I understood your question correctly, you would like to authenticate the webhook destination servers, is that correct? If that’s the case, unfortunately, we currently don't have a way to do this as this feature is not available yet. We do have a feature request for this as you can see in the link below:

I've linked your question to this feature request. Please consider adding yourself as a watcher, so you get updated as we make progress with this. If you are not familiar with our Feature Request Policy, you can learn more about it here:

So, as a workaround, you can pass the credential using HTTPS by using: 

https://<username>:<Password>@<URL>

Please, feel free to share any additional questions regarding this subject.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Statuspage

New feature: Slack notifications for Statuspage

We're excited to announce the release of a long-requested feature on Statuspage. Now visitors to your status page can subscribe to get notified in Slack when you report an incident or maintenance. Th...

3,056 views 8 20
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you