Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make datadog metrics display in milliseconds (not seconds) on my status page

Skye Weir-Mathews December 15, 2021

I'm trying to display this datadog query in milliseconds on my statuspage account:

avg:trace.http.request.duration{env:production}

In datadog the default unit for that metric is set to milliseconds, and I can't figure out how to specify a unit in the query. When I view the metric in datadog it displays in milliseconds. 
Screenshot from 2021-12-15 13-53-35.png
But on my status page it's always in seconds
Screenshot from 2021-12-15 13-55-24.png

1 answer

1 vote
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2021

Hello Skye,

This is Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Welcome to the community and thanks for your question around your system metrics showing in seconds. It looks like you have everything set up correctly in datadog according to your pictures but maybe there is something strange going on.

When you go to edit the metric in Statuspage, are you able to change your scale at all there? Do you also have any screen captures of what you are expecting the metric to look like as a comparison to what you have as that would be very useful to seeing what needs to be changed.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Jesse

Skye Weir-Mathews December 22, 2021

Hi!

Thanks for getting back so quick :)

I changed my metric at https://glassfrog.statuspage.io so now it looks like this:

Screenshot from 2021-12-22 01-00-54.png

which basically gets me what I need. But it would look a lot cuter if it was in milliseconds and looked like the graph you get when you click "View this metric with Datadog". 

Screenshot from 2021-12-22 00-59-24.png

FYI, I think there does seem to be something weird about my datadog metric. When I look at the Metadata Unit it's in seconds, but the graph displays in milliseconds. 

Screenshot from 2021-12-22 01-07-27.png

Hopefully you can help me, cool if you can't, and thank you. 

- Skye

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2021

Hello Skye,

I like the formatting change you made to make it appear correctly. I do find that very strange that the graph in DataDog is formatted in miliseconds but the trace is in seconds. I think this might be something you want to bring to DataDog's attention as my guess is that we are taking what the trace is saying.

Doing a quick search, it seems that this is related to the Metadata, which can be edited. This article mentions that you can edit it either in the metric summary page or the API: https://docs.datadoghq.com/metrics/summary/#metrics-metadata

Hopefully that helps get you in the right direction!

Regards,
Jesse

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events