Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an incident via API doesn't affect component downtime?

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2020

The API to create an incident has a section where you can define the components affected by the incident, and their individual states.

When I create an incident using this API, any component mentioned in the API data is correctly updated in StatusPage to reflect the new state.

However, when I mark the incident as resolved and mark the components as operational, the uptime for the components is *not* affected.

Is this a bug or by design? If the latter, I'm struggling to understand why. It seems like I've got to mark each individual component as (say) "major_outage" and (ultimately) "operational", even though I've done all that via the incident!

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Campbell-Vincent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2020

Hi @Philip Colmer -

Thanks for reaching out! If you could provide a screenshot of an example of what you're seeing, I can try to further investigate. Providing your API request will help as well. Also, if you'd like Statuspage support to take a look at your account, you can always open up a ticket here: https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/

As a follow up question, when you hover over that specific incident time on your component, does it say "Major Outage"?

Looking forward to your response.

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2020

HI @Mark Campbell-Vincent 

Hmmm ... I'm not sure if anything has changed behind the scenes but it seems to be working now.

Philip

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2020

@Mark Campbell-Vincent 

The only thing that still seems a bit "off" about how the incident is being reported is the "inside" view:

Screenshot 2020-11-11 080759.pngNote how it says "No components were marked as affected by this incident"?

I *think* that this is being caused by how the incident is being created. I'm using xMatters to update StatusPage and the built-in step to create a StatusPage incident doesn't support specifying the component(s) at the time of *creating* the incident, so I've written a custom step that is run straight afterwards that updates the incident with the affected components.

I'll try replacing the built-in step with a modified one that does allow the components to be specified at the creation time.

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2020

@Mark Campbell-Vincent

I was correct - the root cause was the fact that I was updating the affected components after the incident was initially created. Changing the steps in the xMatters workflow so that it is now a single call to create the incident with the affected components results in StatusPage displaying a more logical view:

Screenshot 2020-11-11 085720.png

Like Mark Campbell-Vincent likes this
Mark Campbell-Vincent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020

@Philip Colmer -

Glad you were able to find the root cause! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events