Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create incidents by component major outage

Robin Sundström December 8, 2020

Hi! Is there a way to automate the creating of an incident if a given component have the status: Major outage ? We have setup a automation email which checks the health for one of our services and i would like to create an incident if that components receives the "DOWN" signal.  

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
chare December 8, 2020

What you are looking for is the Statuspage API.  You can find it here:

https://developer.statuspage.io

Specifically, you want to look at the create an incident section. You can use the sameple curl command on the page, or build your own automation to create the incident.

Incidentally, the automation email does not check the status of your component.  it is how you tell statuspage that your component has changed status.  So when you detect your component is "DOWN", you send an email to the component automation address with the subject DOWN, and statuspage adjusts the browser view.  When you see it is back up, you send an email with the subject UP.  

There is no "intelligence" behind the browser view to evaluate the state of the endpoint.  Hope this helps.

Chris

What i meant was that we monitor one of our services and then send a signal to the component mail. I was just wondering if there was a way inside Statuspage to make a rule which creates an incident when a certain component have the status - major outage. You have none the less answered the question i had so thank you! 

Like chare likes this
chare December 8, 2020

There are some good examples on that page like this one using CURL

curl https://api.statuspage.io/v1/pages/{page_id}/component-groups \
-H "Authorization: OAuth your-api-key-goes-here" \
-X POST \
-d "component_group[components][]=your-id" \
-d "component_group[name]=string"

I created a python script that checks the endpoints and when I get a specific number of down or degraded performance events, I automatically create an incident with [AUTO] in the title.  If the service returns to operational and there is an incident for the component with [AUTO] in the name, then the script can resolve it.  If [AUTO] is not in the name, then the script bypasses it as a human created it.

That was a nice solution, i will definitely take a closer look on how to implement something like that for our environment.  

Thanks!

0 votes
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2020

I'm not sure if what you want to do is this but I encourage you to check this page:

https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/get-started-with-email-automation/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events